• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracts where there is a middleman who wants a cut

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post

You hit the nail on the head. He works for the consultancy who won't be privy to the arrangement so I am guessing the KID will show the higher amount, then me handing over the cut later on.

The legality is my main concern rather than the greed. My thoughts are that I should walk away
    HVe you any of this in writing or email. You really need to give this information to the head of the consultancy

the other way to play this would be to get the job and then when chased for the payments send a refusal via email to him while cc’ing in the senior management. It is 100% wrong but I do wonder if there is a way you could still get the work and then remove the involvement of the third party
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

You hit the nail on the head. He works for the consultancy who won't be privy to the arrangement so I am guessing the KID will show the higher amount, then me handing over the cut later on.

The legality is my main concern rather than the greed. My thoughts are that I should walk away
      So he's working for the consultancy and yet wanting to take a cut over and above whatever the firm takes for your work? That sounds like he's defrauding his own company.

I would totally report him to management.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Have you any of this in writing or email. You really need to give this information to the head of the consultancy

the other way to play this would be to get the job and then when chased for the payments send a refusal via email to him while cc’ing in the senior management. It is 100% wrong but I do wonder if there is a way you could still get the work and then remove the involvement of the third party
        Could it be that the consultancy cannot supply for this work as they are engaged on a SoW service only. The role is open to anyone that can fill it with no PSL and one of the consultancy employees has gotten wind and is trying to fill it? I mean, this doesn't make this situation any less stupid, but may not mean the person isn't actually defrauding his consultancy. I still don't think they'll be very happy as that employee still represents the consultancy but there is a chance the consultancy can't fill the role.

I mean, it's a long shot at guessing what's going on because it's so ridiculous but there might be a chance it's not quite as nefarious as it seems.. I use the term 'quite so' as it's still wholly wrong. Sounds like a greedy perm that's vaguely aware of the consultancy model and is having a go himself. We've seen other contractors trying it on on here and I'm sure every contractor has thought about doing it. Clearly whoever it is hasn't a clue about the inside element of it though so there is nothing about all this set up that is even worth considering.

That said, in my explanation, if the consultancy can't go for it and this guy is just being mercenary, why can't the OP go for it direct? CSS, why do you think you can't go for it direct? Have you tried speak to the client to see what they say? They might explain which will clarify what is going on with the consultancy employee.

Whatever the situation I'm with Eek and LM. I'd be contacting the consultancy as well with this information as well.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Could it be that the consultancy cannot supply for this work as they are engaged on a SoW service only. The role is open to anyone that can fill it with no PSL and one of the consultancy employees has gotten wind and is trying to fill it? I mean, this doesn't make this situation any less stupid, but may not mean the person isn't actually defrauding his consultancy. I still don't think they'll be very happy as that employee still represents the consultancy but there is a chance the consultancy can't fill the role.

I mean, it's a long shot at guessing what's going on because it's so ridiculous but there might be a chance it's not quite as nefarious as it seems.. I use the term 'quite so' as it's still wholly wrong. Sounds like a greedy perm that's vaguely aware of the consultancy model and is having a go himself. We've seen other contractors trying it on on here and I'm sure every contractor has thought about doing it. Clearly whoever it is hasn't a clue about the inside element of it though so there is nothing about all this set up that is even worth considering.

That said, in my explanation, if the consultancy can't go for it and this guy is just being mercenary, why can't the OP go for it direct? CSS, why do you think you can't go for it direct? Have you tried speak to the client to see what they say? They might explain which will clarify what is going on with the consultancy employee.

Whatever the situation I'm with Eek and LM. I'd be contacting the consultancy as well with this information as well.
          I spoke to someone I know working for the end client. All the people on the various projects are from the consultancy and client does not recruit. I think i am walking away from this one ….. or just go to interview to sharpen my skills. my last interview was in 2005!

Comment

I spoke to someone I know working for the end client. All the people on the various projects are from the consultancy and client does not recruit. I think i am walking away from this one ….. or just go to interview to sharpen my skills. my last interview was in 2005!
            What a bizarre situation. I personally wouldn't as it might be too tempting once the money is on the table. I'd just leave this one well alone. Well, apart from a call to the consultancy to discuss the position that <insert name> has offered me, just so the consultancy is aware and then walk away.

Not even something you could consider if you are desperate because the potential for this to go south with the consultancy or the person not handling it properly is huge.

Fair dincum for spotting it and calling it out.
            Last edited by northernladuk; 1 September 2021, 13:32.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X