• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Onboarding - level of scrutiny

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Onboarding - level of scrutiny

Hello,

I am returning to inside contracting after a FTC stint following outside / Ltd.

Onboarding seems to be new thing, in terms of the level of scrutiny.
    For example, I have had to list all medications (under the guise of the potential impact on being able to work) and also provide evidence of short time outs between contracts.

I have also turned down an offer due to an ironic leach of my data by an organisation who really shouldn't have.

Has anyone else experienced these new onboarding companies leaching as much data and information as possible, fuelled by conditional offers? Is this the new norm?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

KS

Which industry? Standards differ so it's hard to say if it's normal or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Keeeepsmiling View Post
      Hello,

I am returning to inside contracting after a FTC stint following outside / Ltd.

Onboarding seems to be new thing, in terms of the level of scrutiny.
      For example, I have had to list all medications (under the guise of the potential impact on being able to work) and also provide evidence of short time outs between contracts.

I have also turned down an offer due to an ironic leach of my data by an organisation who really shouldn't have.

Has anyone else experienced these new onboarding companies leaching as much data and information as possible, fuelled by conditional offers? Is this the new norm?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

KS
      Data is the currency of the present so they will do everything possible to get as much as they can get on you.

If it is a large organisation acting in good faith it should be fine. Otherwise I would be reticent.

There are already agencies selling your data online, some of them can pinpoint your amazon google accounts, merged linkedin facebook data.

Give them the bare minimum unless you think it might turn against you in a litigation. But if contractor you have no rights so it doesn't matter anyway -> give them nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Keeeepsmiling
        PM / IT
        IT in which industry? Nuclear reactors, Retail, Banking, Pharmaceuticals???

Comment

The devil is in the details in these cases. The types of client will affect the amount of data collected, also what you do i.e. IT, Oil and Gas, Construction etc. There is of course security levels and so on.

The breaks in contract is pretty common. They need to check you've not been to Afghanistan for a 'holiday' or having a short stay at Her Majesties pleasure. The medications one is new to me but if you are in construction or oil and gas it could be risk if you are medication that makes you drowsy so I can see why they might ask.

Passport (in person) and NI are other things you'll get asked as standard that tends to confuse some people as well.

Nothing too out of of the ordinary from what you've said so far but we'd need to know a hell of a lot more to try help properly.

What has changed over the years is the clients being much more risk averse so you'd expect there to be more scrutiny. Just a balance of what is acceptable and what is too much I guess.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X