• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you deal with expert networks?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you deal with expert networks?

Over the last 30 days I've been contacted by the following companies - Alphasights, Third Bridge and Dialectica

They have explained they are working on behalf of their clients, who are looking to get insights into a new market - and are keen to set up a meeting and will pay by the hour. However from what I've seen the onboarding process appears not to support dealing with Ltd company directors - and written contracts appear not be forthcoming. I was initially skeptical but intrigued - now they seem like a waste of time - unless I've missed something obvious.

I just wondered if any of you esteemed veterans ever had any worthwhile transactions with these types of companies. Any advice on steering a course through to successful invoicing and payment gratefully received!

Waste whatever crap that hour was by watching YouTube or something instead

Comment

There should be another thread by me a few months back search with google: site:forums.contractoruk.com + keywords

there might be something good there, a bit flattering for anyone, but could be also a waste of time. If you pay 40% on income then there is no point to it unless pay well(I doubt) Refuse them politely and tell them to pay well and accept ltd or bugger off.

Usually they are expecting for people to spill de beans for free but otherwise pay the price of a luxury car for a poorly redacted report…

Comment

Originally posted by rjoe View Post
        Over the last 30 days I've been contacted by the following companies - Alphasights, Third Bridge and Dialectica

They have explained they are working on behalf of their clients, who are looking to get insights into a new market - and are keen to set up a meeting and will pay by the hour. However from what I've seen the onboarding process appears not to support dealing with Ltd company directors - and written contracts appear not be forthcoming. I was initially skeptical but intrigued - now they seem like a waste of time - unless I've missed something obvious.

I just wondered if any of you esteemed veterans ever had any worthwhile transactions with these types of companies. Any advice on steering a course through to successful invoicing and payment gratefully received!
        I've had lots of approaches for this sort of thing. I ignored them until a friend told me he had done a couple and charged £250ph. I then had an approach on behalf of a global IT services company and I was asked what my hourly rate would be for a discussion via Zoom of 1-3 hours. I said £250 and was told that was fine.

I had a similar experience though in that they couldn't pay my limited company. They asked me to sign an NDA which I haven't got round to doing but I'll update this post once I've had some further interaction and if it materialises into something concrete.

One thing I would say is be careful you are not divulging confidential information.

Comment

I receive these requests as well now and then over the last 5 years, usually I ignore or give a ridiculous high hourly rate. I have accepted one once a few months ago as you had to fill out an on-line survey first so decided to give it a go. Was screened out but got a $30 Amazon voucher

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post

I've had lots of approaches for this sort of thing. I ignored them until a friend told me he had done a couple and charged £250ph.
            Just to add, my friend used to work for a major company that was involved in large scale capital and outsourcing projects. The end client of the 'expert network' company was interested in finding out information about how the company's procurement processes worked and how they worked with sub-contractors.

You wouldn't be approached for information if you hadn't been identified as having potentially valuable information so if you are going to do it, make sure you charge a worthwhile amount, at least £100ph in my mind, if not a lot more. A £50 Amazon voucher is hardly worth it. And don't discuss anything confidential.

Comment

Working...
            X