• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Demand for IT contractors rocketing? You're joking.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post

I saw a 6 month contract that paid £1400pd a while ago for some place in central London. Highest I have seen. You needed PhD in Quantative finance or something like that, as well as 10 years minimum of C++ experience in the quant field.
    Yeah, but it's the subject matter expertise they're paying for, primarily. Agree that it's unusual for IT, but not unusual for SMEs in many industries. They're often filled without being advertised though.

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
      Id also like to know the specifics of the 2k a day role and what industry and skills it involves

the best I had was £840 a day as a programme manager in an ib but those days are finished

recent numbers in ib are 550-650 max from a number of recruiters
      cojak

Shall I tell them?

Comment

Be my guest.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post

cojak

Shall I tell them?
          Tell us our secret to 2k pd contracting
          And then delete the post ;-)

Comment

Currently on £1680 a day.

With three clients.

Comment

Originally posted by ensignia View Post

With three clients.
              Are they keeping you on a retainer? Because you cannot potentially manage meetings and do work during 8h and not have meetings clash etc.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

Are they keeping you on a retainer? Because you cannot potentially manage meetings and do work during 8h and not have meetings clash etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Would the lady care to express that in words as well?

I understand the whole outside IR35 context and delivery based contract albeit I also understand that managers never change and you'd often have status updates and meetings about different subjects which would require your attendance. Coincidentally sometimes during the exact day. It's all cool and dandy but I would imagine if you do try to reschedule a few times or not attend, you'd be pretty soon out of that role...

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

Would the lady care to express that in words as well?

I understand the whole outside IR35 context and delivery based contract albeit I also understand that managers never change and you'd often have status updates and meetings about different subjects which would require your attendance. Coincidentally sometimes during the exact day. It's all cool and dandy but I would imagine if you do try to reschedule a few times or not attend, you'd be pretty soon out of that role...
                    Sorry I misunderstood and didn't realise you were being serious.

There's been so much chat about multiple clients of late that I thought you were being a bit tongue in cheek with your comment.

When you work a mix of fixed price and day rate for multiple clients, as I have done, it is easy to spin things. In my situation the average day rate would have worked out to be about £450 but I could have just as accurately claimed to be on £900 a day.

It is entirely possible, as others have described, to service multiple clients, not upset anyone and earn a good combined rate. It very much depends on what it is you do, who you're doing it for, and the manner in which the engagement is being delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by ensignia View Post

With three clients.
                      One question : do they know?

Comment

Working...
                      X