• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's my price?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LetsHaveAMeeting
    Any other c#'ers with similar experience/quals care to share their rates/experiences.
    We have plenty by standing Software Engineers who do c# and ers for you.

All days are for 10$
    I do all codes.
    Much Quickness - Plenty Cheapness.
    New most excellent Blogger: http://shawadiwadi.blogspot.com/
    New YouTube Channel: BobShawadiwadi

Comment

Originally posted by spudgun
      Tailor the rate you state according to what you think the role would entail and ALWAYS give a range - 325-375 etc.... and NEVER state the bottom rate you will take - always add a little on for leway.
      IMO this is bad advice (the rest was fairly good though spud) - giving a range like this is effectively stating your bottom rate anyway. Just quote one rate and negotiate from there.
      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect
        IMO this is bad advice (the rest was fairly good though spud) - giving a range like this is effectively stating your bottom rate anyway. Just quote one rate and negotiate from there.
        fair point - though the bottom of my range was never my rack bottom

I found it helped when there was no rate specified to give a range.

I will know for future

P

Comment

I was in a similar position to you (mortgage, family etc), so I was not crazy about just handing in my notice without a contract. I had some holidays and said to Agents I would be avaliabel in 2 weeks, then once I got the gig I let my bosses know and although they were a bit pissed off they let me go without problem. In fact they even said they would like me to contract for them in the future.

I would think 2 weeks is the max notice period unless you are willing to wait months.

Comment

Originally posted by LetsHaveAMeeting
            Thanks for all your advice folks, most appreciated.

Now onto mind games.... I'm guessing an agent will look at my CV and realise I'm new to the market and eye him a nice fat wedge of a margin. So, say for example I want to target £350 gigs, if I get asked my rate do I quote £400 knowing that they'll work(grind) me down to my target rate?

Not at all. An agent will look at your CV and realising that you are first timer will want to impress you that the Industry is very professional and honest. He will give you a special "first time" deal with a low margin and a lunch early in the contract.

trust me.
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
            X