• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 - Paid to be on the bench?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 - Paid to be on the bench?

Following on from this thread

Coming to an end of current contract with Irish consultancy. They've been happy with me and they have a stack of work in the pipeline which they want to keep me for.

However, they said that they'd renew but that in the first week or two they might not have any work so I'd be on their bench (getting paid, turning up for the odd teams meeting etc.)

So as the client is overseas, it's up to me to determine the status of the contract and this doesn't look like the best way to start it. What would be the best way to handle this aspect of the contract? Tell the consultancy that I'll sign the contract but I won't be invoicing for days on the bench?

That seems like the surest defence however I'm not sure how long I'd be on the bench for, it could be a week, it could be 3 or 4 which starts to have a material impact on me. I'm guessing I need to use some sort of retainer but have never used one before and wouldn't know where to start.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

Remove IR35 and Covid from your thinking.

If you were sat on site and they were happy to be paying you would you be concerned?
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

How about you negotiate a retainer, at a reduced day rate, for the period you are not working?

I don't know how that stacks up in IR35 terms but it's a different arrangement to what a permie would get (although all this furlough malarkey of 80% scuppers it somewhat).

I'd be very concerned about being paid by a client to do nothing, when they know you're doing nothing (different from billing while posting on CUK).

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Remove IR35 and Covid from your thinking.

If you were sat on site and they were happy to be paying you would you be concerned?
        I don't get it, removing IR35 from my thinking "Would I be concerned to be getting paid for doing nothing?" - answer No. I wouldn't be planning my retirement there either, it's expensive for their business model so it most likely wouldn't happen for a long time.

It's the MoO that it creates which would put me inside for the rest of the contract which is what I want to find out how to mitigate.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          How about you negotiate a retainer, at a reduced day rate, for the period you are not working?

I don't know how that stacks up in IR35 terms but it's a different arrangement to what a permie would get (although all this furlough malarkey of 80% scuppers it somewhat).

I'd be very concerned about being paid by a client to do nothing, when they know you're doing nothing (different from billing while posting on CUK).
          Yes, fair lady, the retainer bit sounds all grown-up and business-like to me. Would it work and how to do it?

I wouldn't have thought that furlough comes into their thinking for a company based in Ireland?

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
            Yes, fair lady, the retainer bit sounds all grown-up and business-like to me. Would it work and how to do it?

I wouldn't have thought that furlough comes into their thinking for a company based in Ireland?
            The furlough thing was an aside. I didn't realise yours was an Irish client.

There's some guidance here but it's worth doing a bit of digging to see how it could work in your situation. You'd need a new / amended contract.

Charging clients a retainer – how various charging models can work for you

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              The furlough thing was an aside. I didn't realise yours was an Irish client.

There's some guidance here but it's worth doing a bit of digging to see how it could work in your situation. You'd need a new / amended contract.

Charging clients a retainer – how various charging models can work for you
              Thanks for this, looks complicated and probably doesn't apply in my case. The easiest would be to not invoice for this period at the start, but if this drags on?

I'm aware that although an inconvenience for client, my invoicing wouldn't speed-up a project start date with their end-client. But if I wasn't invoicing then they could decide to put me on the second or third project in their pipeline as they have nothing pushing them to reduce a cost. If that makes sense.

Comment

Maybe you could still invoice but agree that you won't invoice every day when you're reassigned? Rather than then work for free until it's all 'paid off' you could work 5 days but invoice 3, depending on the duration of bench time and the renewal? You end up with the same net amout of income, the client ends up withe same net amout of expenditure but it's smoothed out from your perspective. If they decide not to put you onto another project, that's their loss.

Or maybe it's all being way overthought and you should just say, thanks very much, as it's a foreign client.

Comment

Your client is offering to pay a 100% rate retainer and people on here are trying to talk you out of accepting it? I'd be snapping their hand off (then double bubble for other clients in the meantime)

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
                    Your client is offering to pay a 100% rate retainer and people on here are trying to talk you out of accepting it? I'd be snapping their hand off (then double bubble for other clients in the meantime)
                    Yeah, looks enticing however I'm not sure that the revenue would see it the same way. Mutuality of Obligation and all that.

Comment

Working...
                    X