• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 - Paid to be on the bench?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Antman View Post
    Yeah, looks enticing however I'm not sure that the revenue would see it the same way. Mutuality of Obligation and all that.
    Sounds like you're thinking like a scared permitractor who deep down believes they should have been inside IR35 all along, rather than a business person trying to maximise profits for their business - which is fair enough, each to their own

Comment

What would it say in the contract? In the unlikely event that HMRC would conduct an IR35 investigation they will only be able to check the contract and interview you.

I wouldn't turn down the offer of income. You can work on the project, which hasn't yet been approved.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
        Sounds like you're thinking like a scared permitractor who deep down believes they should have been inside IR35 all along, rather than a business person trying to maximise profits for their business - which is fair enough, each to their own
        You are astute, I'll give you that.

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
          You are astute, I'll give you that.
          Chance of IR35 investigation ~1 in 1000 (probably even less for a foreign client)
          Chance of QDOS/IPSE losing an investigation ~1 in 1000 (anecdotally I believe they've lost only a handful of over 4000 investigations/cases between them)
          Chance of QDOS TLC35 not paying out after losing an investigation, given it would be their first opportunity to demonstrate and advertise that they will ~ 1 in 100?

Getting down to some pretty small numbers, but you're willing to throw away hundreds/thousands of pounds of guaranteed income "just in case" ?! Play the odds!

Comment

Full credit for attention to detail OP. But I can't help thinking you'd be better applying your nervous energy to something else.
            ‘His body, his mind and his soul are his capital, and his task in life is to invest it favourably to make a profit of himself.’ (Erich Fromm, ‘The Sane Society’, Routledge, 1991, p.138)

Comment

Working...
            X