• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Consequences of being submitted to a client by two agencies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Consequences of being submitted to a client by two agencies

Just wondering.. They usually give you to copy paste some usual rubbish about exclusive representation to the client but I must admit I don't always listen to them babbling on about the client that they are representing and only research the client if an interview is given.

Don't know about nowadays, but years ago the client would bin your CV for submitting via different agencies for the same role.

Happened to me once, a long time ago, but 2nd agency pretty much lied about who the client was. Dodgy 90's agents, eh ?
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
      Don't know about nowadays, but years ago the client would bin your CV for submitting via different agencies for the same role.

Happened to me once, a long time ago, but 2nd agency pretty much lied about who the client was. Dodgy 90's agents, eh ?
      Exactly same. Not lied but one said banking client in Manchester, the other said finance client in Cheshire. Same role at Barclays. Argument broke out about representation and the client refused to interview even though as I was sat in the car park waiting to go in.

You should listen.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Exactly same. Not lied but one said banking client in Manchester, the other said finance client in Cheshire. Same role at Barclays. Argument broke out about representation and the client refused to interview even though as I was sat in the car park waiting to go in.

You should listen.
        Tbh I just didn't realise it was the same client because the other agency was in touch over a week ago (a lot has happened since then!) and I have forgotten by now the name of the client. So when the new agency came along I just said sure go ahead

Comment

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
          Tbh I just didn't realise it was the same client because the other agency was in touch over a week ago (a lot has happened since then!) and I have forgotten by now the name of the client. So when the new agency came along I just said sure go ahead
          Yep it happens. Difficult to know what to do now though. Wait to see what pans out as one or the other might not have submitted you, chose one and contact the other to withdraw etc

No idea which would be best at this point sorry.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Yep it happens. Difficult to know what to do now though. Wait to see what pans out as one or the other might not have submitted you, chose one and contact the other to withdraw etc

No idea which would be best at this point sorry.
            I think I will just leave it be. I am happy where I am at the moment, just casually looking around really testing what kind of rate I could get in current market

Comment

In some cases, the agent can see if your CV has actually been submitted on the client portal. Sometimes agents like to 'reduce the noise' by stopping other close candidates from getting submitted. So you think you've been submitted but haven't at all.

edit: of course, that could have been a cock and bull story just to get my CV submitted I had no view of any of this but would seem pretty stupid by an agent to pull a move like this.
              Last edited by Antman; 3 February 2021, 15:38.

Comment

Happened to me last year. Preferred supplier agency got in touch about a role. Didn't hear anything for over a month. Then a new agency calls with a newly released role for same company. So just thought new role, yeah go for it. Turns out it was same role but had just been delayed slightly.
                Then a contractor mate of mine, said he knew the hiring manager. Hiring manager was waiting for my CV, had an interview lined up and everything. But my cv never arrived from preferred supplier. Think they were hacked off with me using other agency as well.
                Needless to say, no cv, no interview, no role. I'd been the the bench for a few months as well.
                So be careful.

Comment

Happened to me a few years ago.

I ended up with the role because the first agency gave me an incorrect location, incorrect industry sector, incorrect role description and one of the client's managers responsible for recruitment was a former contractor.

I only found out when after I was on-site from the client manager that they had my CV from the first agency.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Back in 2001 this happened to me.

One of the agents phoned me up and then dictated over the phone an email that i should write.

Something along the lines of 'Only agency X is acting as my agent for role Y at client Z. No other agent is allowed to act on my behalf'

I was benched at the time and desperate, as the contract market around here had gone belly up, so i did what she said.

Nothing came of that role, never even got an interview.

Comment

Working...
                    X