• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fradulent mobile contract taken out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fradulent mobile contract taken out

I've just received an invoice from EE addressed to my company, for a mobile phone contract that has been taken out in the company's name.

I called EE and they have now opened a fraud investigaiton. It seems the scammers (thankfully) didn't get hold of my bank details (business or personal), because the bank details EE have on file against this contract are not mine. EE have locked the phone connection. The fraud team will be in touch.

Anyone else had anything similar happening to them, and what can I do to protect myself and the company in the future? I don't leave documents lying around, everything gets shredded.

Had similar happen years ago and only found out when I got credit checked for a gig and they claimed I hadn't disclosed a previous address in the last five years.

Couldn't work out what the scam was because it had happened 18 months before I found out. Whoever did it was paying the bill.

It was all sorted out with a couple of phone calls and data removed from credit file fairly quickly.
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
      It was all sorted out with a couple of phone calls and data removed from credit file fairly quickly.
      How did you remove the credit check records?

Comment

I got a letter from a car insurance company once saying they were cancelling my cover because I had not supplied a copy of my no claims bonus. I phoned them and asked what they were talking about and told them I had never heard of the car in question.

They cancelled the policy, said it was probably fraudulent and I never heard from them again. I was able to track the vehicle a little due to knowing the licence plate and various friends suggested retaliating but I had to point out that these people might be hardcore criminals and they know where I live.
        "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

They would have found your company details online via Companies House. Then found something else online that proved your company was legit as Companies House has loads of junk companies.

This prevents them changing company details with Companies House - Protect your company from corporate identity theft - GOV.UK
          Last edited by SueEllen; 25 January 2021, 14:32.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by OneManBand View Post
            How did you remove the credit check records?
            You contact the credit agencies and tell them the issue and they work with the respective companies to clear the data. It can take months until an investigation is concluded. You can't just go "oh yeah that default with Barclaycard isn't mine" and hit delete

Comment

I've been trying to find out what else you do to stop someone using your company details but apart from using PROOF, unlike with a person where you can get CIFAS Protective Registration, everything else is up to you. So as well as shredding documents you need to regularly check your company's credit file.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

So what's the benefit to the fraudster in this case? Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post
                  Sometimes they can set up the contract to yourCo address but ask for the phone to be shipped to a different address. They get a free phone, you get the bill. If they're quick and you're slow, they may be able to sell that phone on to some unsuspecting mug before the phone company block it.

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post
                    I'm assuming they're using the good credit rating of the company, so they can bag a £900 phone for themselves.

Comment

Working...
                    X