• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by abc
    My original post was my aimed at the other contractors on this site, not at a pimp like yourself. I've no interest in wasting my time explaining what such a simple word means to the likes of you. It is obvious to everyone, apart from you.
    how will we stupid pathetic pimps ever learn how to serve you important people properly if you won't explain these things to us?
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by youngguy
      I have just started out and have set my own day rate (well below market rate) with agencies which is a figure I believe to be fair (fair for someone of my experience in my sector). I purposely set it that bit lower for 2 reasons:-

-Its a figure I believe I am worth
      -I want to get started in contracting and therefore wanted to 'undercut' more expensive contractors.

By the sounds of it, it is quite possible that agents are licking their lips as they have a massive markup on me, and clients are scratching their heads wondering why someone with less than average experience is charging average market rates.

Both of these do me no good at all!

My question is, apart from asking the agent, how can one find out the rate and how do you negotiate that rate down?
      I fell for the same thing when I started - I cut my rate from what I ideally wanted, to try and get work. Made no difference at all really - just that someone else got a bigger commission and I made less money.

Ask the agent, and see what they say. If they're not willing to share the information then this sets alarm bells ringing with me.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I work as a locum in the field of adult mental health. The agencies that deal with us have exploited us for years. You IT guys and girls are way ahead of us in gaining some sort of respect from agencies.
        My Warm milk has gone cold? Where am I?

Comment

That's probably because your field assumes some degree of good will towards your fellow man, and that's just asking to be exploited. Not a problem with IT folk.

Comment

I agree ThunderLizard. However, ignorance when it comes to business matters is also a major factor, and that applies to all sectors. I have been a MSC Ltd since 2003 and a full Ltd only recently. Many of my peers are still stuck as employees of the agencies or drifting in to brollies post April 5th and they haven't a clue.
            My Warm milk has gone cold? Where am I?

Comment

Originally posted by Pipe&Slippers
              I work as a locum in the field of adult mental health. The agencies that deal with us have exploited us for years. You IT guys and girls are way ahead of us in gaining some sort of respect from agencies.
              If what some agents (note: not ALL agents) currently give us is respect then I'd hate to experience what disrespect feels like.

But being more serious about it, you used the important word "exploited".

That is exactly what it is and we should never forget it. If we do forget this, we will just end up as their low-wage slaves.

None of the bad agents/high margin agents would admit to this, no more than your average con artist would admit that what he was doing was wrong.

Instead they give us their condescending "don't worry, it's just business" BULLtulip argument, to try to pull the wool over our eyes.

Comment

Agency Rates

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                how will we stupid pathetic pimps ever learn how to serve you important people properly if you won't explain these things to us?
                If I am a pimp what does that make you?

Comment

Originally posted by Taita View Post
                  If I am a pimp what does that make you?
                  Its a contractor's forum, I am sure on the agentuk forums we get called a lot worse, chill out a little!
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by abc View Post
                    My original post was my aimed at the other contractors on this site, not at a pimp like yourself. I've no interest in wasting my time explaining what such a simple word means to the likes of you. It is obvious to everyone, apart from you.

I wonder why you get bent over in negotiations with an attitude like that?

Fair, in your case, means paying you as little as possible, and charging the client a ridiculous amount of money to maximise return - It's clear that any contract you're involved in, is only ever going to be short term with that kind of attitude towards people who are here to assist you in getting a new role - if the benefit is not going to be mutual, then expect to be ripped off in order to redress the balance.
                    "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
                    SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                      Its a contractor's forum, I am sure on the agentuk forums we get called a lot worse, chill out a little!
                      I was chilling out with a little joke of my own!

P.S. I don't think agentUK exists in that dog eat dog community.

Comment

Working...
                      X