• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How did you do this year?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Destiny2 View Post
    I started an inside IR35 contract last year and was thinking of leaving in March for an outside IR35 contract. Covid came and was wfh since March. There was hardly any work to do and at one point, I even thought they would get rid of their contractors as most permies in other depts were furloughed or made to take unpaid leave. Luckily, they kept paying me. In Sept, I decided to leave.

I landed a project contract but it never started and it's been put on hold till next year. I will see what happens next year.

2020 rating : Money - 5/10 , Work:Life ratio - 9/10
    You decided to leave a paying contract in this climate ??? Wow just wow

Unless you meant, jumped ship to new contact that got canned

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
      You decided to leave a paying contract in this climate ??? Wow just wow

Unless you meant, jumped ship to new contact that got canned

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
      No, just left. With no contract in sight.
      I know, I know. Everyone advised me against it.

There was a sudden buildup of a lot of grief at work and I was not willing to tolerate it, not for what they were paying me. Few years ago, I was on a very good rate at a contract elsewhere and tolerated the grief but that left me mentally scarred. Money isn't everything.
      Last edited by Destiny2; 18 December 2020, 17:08.

Comment

There was a sudden buildup of a lot of grief at work and I was not willing to tolerate it, not for what they were paying me. Few years ago, I was on a very good rate at a contract elsewhere and tolerated the grief but that left me mentally scarred. Money isn't everything.
        Your courage to follow the "road less travelled" is commendable. No regrets. Why worry about a future job you will surely secure, when the hiring manager doesn't even know he needs someone yet.. and that someone will be you.

It's easy to get the impression on here sometimes that many posters will be lying on their deathbeds wishing they had worked more overtime. Merry Xmas.
        ‘His body, his mind and his soul are his capital, and his task in life is to invest it favourably to make a profit of himself.’ (Erich Fromm, ‘The Sane Society’, Routledge, 1991, p.138)

Comment

As long as you made the decision knowing you would be several months with no work I see nothing wrong with it. If you made that decision thinking you would find something else right away then it was foolish.

Comment

I always make sure my warchest has enough
            Fortune favours the brave, innit?

Comment

Totally the right reason to leave.

Jumping ship with nothing to go to is always scary but you have to look after yourself and, if the client can't bring themselves to extend common decency, then leaving is the best thing to do. I'd also leave a review on somewhere like Glassdoor if it was really bad.

Comment

Looks like I will have billed for most of the year having worked all through it and taken a couple of days off on £650/day. Have been offered a perm role elsewhere which I am going to take as have option of working remotely permanently at £105k. Have paid 3 years pension into Sipp resently so should have c. 220k after closing down myCo. My mortgage is paid off, so think am not in too bad a place, although going perm makes me shudder a bit. Nonetheless, too much uncertainty with Brexit, covid and all else.

Comment

How did you do this year?
                  Billed 220 days, started gig in week 1 of lockdown 1, best rate so far in my 3 years contracting.

What went well
                  Bought a new house, picked up a new client retainer I can service alongside my contract and another ad hoc client in the pipe on the hook for some migration work. Out of 70 competitors I finished 25th in my rookie racing season (single make; MK1 Mazda MX-5). Leased a brand new Audi Etron - first ever brand new car.

What went bad
                  Wedding cancelled; Mrs MattFX to be shed many tears. 2 dead relatives. Put on about 2/3rds of a stone over the year due to no team sport. House purchase was awful. Campervan blew up and cost £3.5k to fix, race car blew up and cost £3k to fix, daily drive car blew up and cost £2k to fix. Literally never had so much bad car luck in my whole life.

Overall: It's been an expensive, challenging year.

Comment

256th and final day of the year today
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by ronanm View Post
                      Looks like I will have billed for most of the year having worked all through it and taken a couple of days off on £650/day. Have been offered a perm role elsewhere which I am going to take as have option of working remotely permanently at £105k. Have paid 3 years pension into Sipp resently so should have c. 220k after closing down myCo. My mortgage is paid off, so think am not in too bad a place, although going perm makes me shudder a bit. Nonetheless, too much uncertainty with Brexit, covid and all else.
                      Congrats - £105k is an AMAZING perm salary, even when compared to your day rate. What area do you work in?

My day rate was higher but my perm offers are in the £80k range, which is pretty much what I was earning back in 2003! To be fair, I'm happy with £80k because of my lack of saleable tech skills at this time. There's also the 'problem' of earning more than £100k and losing your personal allowance. My investments will kick me well over that mark so I need to look into some heavy salary sacrifice scheme.

Comment

Working...
                      X