• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blanket ban

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blanket ban

Been told by client they won’t engage with PSC’s. Bit late in the day!! I had been told I was assessed as outside. But HR have said no and kyboshed it won’t take any risk at all. So it’s go PAYE or leave. Not even umbrella option. Given coronavirus and slow down in the market could be facing a lengthy stint out of work. Concern is being a target for HMRC as same client but now deemed inside...
    Fed up and disenchantmented...HR and legal bods risk averse so no more PSC’s ... Plus the hit of going PAYE it’s all gloomy

Blanket ban

Not as gloomy as you will go straight to the top of the HMRC low hanging fruit hit list if you do

Remember to claim your back dated holiday pay

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

“They won’t engage with PSCs” - does your contract end soon e.g. end of March, or are you still billing? Has the client/agency served notice?

Comment

Contract runs passed 31 March. If have to accept a new contract but not through my company but on PAYE....they are stopping all PSC’s...despite me being assessed outside...

Comment

Entirely up to you if course, but it sounds like walking at the end of this month is the only sensible thing to do.

If you’re being forced into PAYE at current client with all the retrospective risk that brings, as well pas PAYE tax, you’re better off going to a new client elsewhere, even if the new client is also PAYE.

Say ‘no thanks’ and see if they blink first?

Comment

I’m really p’d off I was outside and my manager was supporting that BUT HR not said no they are banning all PSC’s are taking no risks and that’s it end of.
            They said they might be able to do something on the rate but no figures as yet...
            Not been here that long so think risk is fairly low of being looked at as it’s been a short time to date...
            Don’t know what to do...

Comment

Originally posted by Cookielove View Post
              I’m really p’d off I was outside and my manager was supporting that BUT HR not said no they are banning all PSC’s are taking no risks and that’s it end of.
              They said they might be able to do something on the rate but no figures as yet...
              Not been here that long so think risk is fairly low of being looked at as it’s been a short time to date...
              Don’t know what to do...
              So how long have been there - take a 1/4 of it and that is what HMRC would want were they to come knocking.

Given the current state of the market unless you can afford a long time on the bench I wouldn't be leaving unless that figure is a few months money.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Hi eek, thanks I’ve been there 5 months ...my gut feeling is I’d be looking at a fair bit of time out of work...

Comment

No easy answers unfortunately, it really boils down to - Roll over, take PAYE, more tax, and risk of retrospective HMRC action, or - Stand firm and decline (also good for MOO), and risk not finding future alternative work elsewhere - pretty standard for a contractor. PAYE in anew gig is safer than PAYE where you currently are.

Comment

Originally posted by Cookielove View Post
                    Hi eek, thanks I’ve been there 5 months ...my gut feeling is I’d be looking at a fair bit of time out of work...
                    You are risking at most 1 months money - in this market (unless you need expenses) I would be sucking it up and staying while saving a months money in the background in case HMRC come knocking.

Then in April 2024 you can spend that money on a holiday or something...
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X