• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

breaking contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Break a leg.

Some I know had the misfortune to "break a leg" - so the client terminated the contract. Next contract comes along and, after some time, would you believe it, but he broke his leg again! What are the chances!!

I only know because I worked with someone else who was brought in to replace the guy on both contracts...
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by ookook
      Thanks for the advice - problem is these roles that are becoming available are likely to be immediate start - If I say I have to give a months notice I risk missing the boat... I'l have to wait and see if I get one of the roles first then see what happens
      you don't have to give a month's notice. You contract is ending anyway.

As has been said. By the time you have sent in the CV, had an interview, and negotiated terms your six weeks will be nearly up anyway. By the time that you get this close the client will (probably not) notice waiting an extra 2 weeks.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by ookook
        Sorry if this is a bit of a newby question, but I'm on my first contract - which has about 6 weeks to run - the contract basically states that I should give a months notice and they should do the same. Thing is that some other jobs have become available in my area with a much better pay rate - but being contract roles they want people to start immediately.. Whats the legal situation in situations like this? can I just give them a weeks notice or a days notice or what? - i get paid monthly so i could leave after payday and not be out of pocket..
        This is all theoretical as I like my current employer and would like to give them notice but I dont want to miss out on these other positions. Any thoughts on the likely outcome of quitting with a weeks notice?
        thx
        Contracts for Dummies lesson 1.

A party to a contract, may lawfully breach one of the terms of that contract, provided that they are prepare to compensate the other party for their genuine losses due to that breach.

Lesson 2.
        A breach by one party does not entitle the other party to breach his contractual terms except on the same basis as lesson 1.

There is no illegality here, no crime, no shame. It is however unprofessional.

tim

Comment

I have never walked from a contract, despite provocation in some cases. If it says 6 months, that's what I work. I may start looking with 4 weeks to go but I wouldn't leave early except for very extreme circumstances.
          I feel strongly about this, it is acting professionally and encourages the client to hire contractors again. Every chump contractor who messes people about, leaves early or is unreliable may result in a 'never again' attitude from the client and no jobs for contractors in the future.
          Stay - if you are any good, the jobs turn up when you are available AND the current client thinks of you when he has got a job next time.
          HTH

Comment

Be professional at all times. You may have a clause in the contract that makes you responsible for the agents costs if you break the contract.
            sorry Diver I'm off the cigs again

Comment

Working...
            X