• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

breaking contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

breaking contract?

Sorry if this is a bit of a newby question, but I'm on my first contract - which has about 6 weeks to run - the contract basically states that I should give a months notice and they should do the same. Thing is that some other jobs have become available in my area with a much better pay rate - but being contract roles they want people to start immediately.. Whats the legal situation in situations like this? can I just give them a weeks notice or a days notice or what? - i get paid monthly so i could leave after payday and not be out of pocket..
    This is all theoretical as I like my current employer and would like to give them notice but I dont want to miss out on these other positions. Any thoughts on the likely outcome of quitting with a weeks notice?
    thx
    The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven

Originally posted by ookook
    Sorry if this is a bit of a newby question, but I'm on my first contract - which has about 6 weeks to run - the contract basically states that I should give a months notice and they should do the same. Thing is that some other jobs have become available in my area with a much better pay rate - but being contract roles they want people to start immediately.. Whats the legal situation in situations like this? can I just give them a weeks notice or a days notice or what? - i get paid monthly so i could leave after payday and not be out of pocket..
    This is all theoretical as I like my current employer and would like to give them notice but I dont want to miss out on these other positions. Any thoughts on the likely outcome of quitting with a weeks notice?
    thx
    Don't do it. It is unprofessional. You could get a bad reputation and it does not create a good image for the rest of us either.
    You are in business and you will expect your clients to uphold their end.

Having said that, your contract will state the terms on which you may terminate.

If there are no terms in the contract then go and have a word with the line manager in charge. Tell him that you have an opportunity you would like to take, but you wish to honour your present contract.
    After all, it would be in his best interest to let you go rather than having a pissy contractor twiddle his thumbs for a month.

Be professional at all times.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

have you checked that these roles are for Immediate start?
      Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by ookook
        thx
        Follow the money!!

It's a dog eat dog world out there.
        Call the cops

Comment

Basically, start looking and see how things go. Legally you are bound by the contract terms. You may find it takes you longer than 6 weeks to find a gig.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsGoof
            have you checked that these roles are for Immediate start?
            This is important. Immediate start means two different things to pimps and contractors. By the time you have had your interview, got feedback, reviewed the contract, made any changes and arranged a start date you may find you're 6 weeks along the line anyway.

That's if the gigs exist of course...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Thanks for the advice - problem is these roles that are becoming available are likely to be immediate start - If I say I have to give a months notice I risk missing the boat... I'l have to wait and see if I get one of the roles first then see what happens
              The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven

Comment

It's possible to string these things along...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

As I have said before, never ever break the rules of the contract. If you realy want out then do something to instigate the immediate dismisal clause.

Pick an argument with the boss, swear at him then punch him. Apologise profusely. You will be off site before your feet touch the ground.
                  A bit of sexual harrasment doesnt go amiss either.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

sexual harrasment? before or after I punch him?

Comment

Working...
                    X