• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Think I've screwed up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
    Happened to me at my last contract.

Public sector, very good rate, 10-15 minutes of bus away from home. The perfect gig on paper. BUT...soul destroying role.

Typical case of wasting public money: they hired me because they had to spend all the budget but they didn't really need me.

The people who interviewed me over the phone had nothing to do with the project I was on, never even saw them in the office.

The work was actually interesting, just there wasn't enough. I would be busy for 2-3 days in a row, then twiddling my thumbs for a couple of weeks.

Every time I spoke with the project manager or the product owner they'd tell me to enjoy the quiet because it was about to get "real busy". It never did.

I still finished the 6 months contract, delivered what had been asked to the highest standards. Declined the extension, and moved on.

It's life. And more often than not, tulip happens.
    Mug

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
      Mug

Comment

don't beat about the bush, old chap.
        do say what you mean.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
          don't beat about the bush, old chap.
          do say what you mean.

Like getting a BJ and it’s wonderful and complaining about the background music

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
            So I started a new contract last Monday. Public sector, umbrella, four months. Almost from the off i got the feeling I've made a big mistake.
            The person who interviewed me had phoned in sick (still off) so I got given a laptop & shown where stuff was on SharePoint. It's 100% hot desking. There's only an 'acting PM' who seems like he's worse than a man short. Any time I ask a question of anyone I get mumbles or blank looks. I don't know why I'm there.
            So anyway, I'm normally really positive but I'm very down about it. I feel trapped. Like my only choice is to stay or sell my house and go on benefits. I know it's only been a week & I'm being very dramatic about it but still.. I don't know what to do.
            And I'm aware this is rambling so should it be in general? [emoji23]
            As some of the others have said, 4 months isn't that long... Take it one days at a time... enjoy long lunches is possible, up your skillset if you can but most importantly keep looking for a new role and when you get one leave!

Comment

Originally posted by AlonsoHarris View Post
              As some of the others have said, 4 months isn't that long... Take it one days at a time... enjoy long lunches is possible, up your skillset if you can but most importantly keep looking for a new role and when you get one leave!
              It really is when you've a gig you can't face going in to every day.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Having been at PS place for the past 3 years its is a different world.

Permies who seem to have roles just to give them something to do. Permies in management positions who you wouldn't put in charge of a hamster. Clueless projects, lots of sickies. Tons of money wasted on crap.

Its not a dynamic environment. If you want excitement its not in the PS.
                On the plus side (for me) there is little stress. Emergencies tend to be forgotten as 4pm approaches and everyone wants to go home.

Then again if you really hate it dont stay and make yourself ill - I did that once, never again.

Theres always JSA?
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I had the pleasure of walking away from a stinker last year - the looks on their faces are priceless. Especially when you say you have nowhere to go and it's a 'prestigious' name.

Give it a month, you'll know if you like it by then (the first weeks are always a bit strange). See if you can shape it into your mould/image.

If not, don't put a job before your mental health.
                  ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Having been at PS place for the past 3 years its is a different world.

Permies who seem to have roles just to give them something to do. Permies in management positions who you wouldn't put in charge of a hamster. Clueless projects, lots of sickies. Tons of money wasted on crap
                    Sounds like you fit in perfectly.
                    Its not a dynamic environment. If you want excitement its not in the PS.
                    On the plus side (for me) there is little stress. Emergencies tend to be forgotten as 4pm approaches and everyone wants to go home.
                    ?
                    Yep.. I was right.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
                      The worry I always had in similar scenarios are, what to say in the next day's standup . It's high time to learn BS talk!
                      Exactly this. Now four months at current gig, the actual amount of work I've done here could have been done in the first week.
                      Programme director set up daily stand ups. No one listens to what anybody says on the call, so I make up some BS

Comment

Working...
                      X