• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The dark side calls.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Appydaze View Post
    £450 per day (6months) vs £70k + Benefits

What should I go for? ...been contracting for 12 years....been a bit patchy last couple of years though! !
    Very similar to me...450 (inside after review from clientco) to 75k
    I am now (or soon to be) called Darth VirtualMonkey
    Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualMonkey View Post
      Very similar to me...450 (inside after review from clientco) to 75k
      I am now (or soon to be) called Darth VirtualMonkey
      And I say 'review' with a great deal of tongue in cheek. None of them are truly reviewing the status...just delaying until they can say they've thought about it and the role is inside...but mostly because they cant be bothered to really think about it.
      Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Z View Post
        Some interesting/understandable cautionary views.
        No doubt a decision many are wrestling with.

To aid forward planning what is tricky is a lack of any unambiguous confirmation of various shut down options (MVL vs strike off) & their future impact

I know these have been done to death & i may have missed a key thread or sticky, but seems to be much contradictory info on the web (& this great forum) & some accountants cannot be fully replied upon it seems for accurate info...

Perhaps this is in the wrong section but can anyone in the know clarify:

1. For a voluntary strike off (not an mvl liquidation) where Dividends have reduced profit to <25k and a capital distribution (with or without ER claimed) is then taken, do the TAAR (or any other) two year rules apply to prohibit opening another company without losing the capital gain advantage?

2. For a shut down via MVL, if permiedom or semi-retirement or job hunting doesnt work out, can you def come back via an Umbrella within 2 years without any issues on this score?

Even if intention is firmly to shut down & go perm or retire, understanding the options clearly helps

Im in the same situation and posted a question in the acocunting forum here. My accountant says it does apply if you sont "intend" on opening another company. But going perm shows you didnt intend to do it within 2 years. on here, one person jsut said, dont worry about it, risk is small. ANother said it doesnt apply if less than £25k as you wont be invoking ER. So I dont know - Im going to take the chance and do it anyway following accountants advice

Comment

I love this thread. I am now 1 month and 6 days into my permie role working as a consultant. So far I've had to attend sales meetings, produce a w#nky 30/60/90 day plan, produce a 5-minute pitch for the company which I can be picked on at any sales meeting to deliver to keep me sharp, asked to produce a sales story video along with vlog and blog posts. Plus fortnightly 1-2-1's with my manager.

Shoot me now - I cant handle all this management. I cant see me lasting long

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
            I love this thread. I am now 1 month and 6 days into my permie role working as a consultant. So far I've had to attend sales meetings, produce a w#nky 30/60/90 day plan, produce a 5-minute pitch for the company which I can be picked on at any sales meeting to deliver to keep me sharp, asked to produce a sales story video along with vlog and blog posts. Plus fortnightly 1-2-1's with my manager.

Shoot me now - I cant handle all this management. I cant see me lasting long
            Have you managed to do anything you were taken on to do yet?
            If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
              Have you managed to do anything you were taken on to do yet?
              Oh yes - thats where I'm expected to work in my evenings to meet client deliverables. Oh and there is no overtime arrangement conveniently. Some mutterings of TOIL. So Im assuming they want me to self manage my time so Im on the train now ready to go out on the lash

Comment

Working...
              X