• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Negotiating rate after role offered

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TazMaN
    One thing I will re-iterate is that you must be happy with the rate offered. It really doesn't matter as much how much your skills are worth or that xomeone else is earning more etc. Horses for courses, just be happy with what ur getting paid yourself otherwise you will fret about it later during your contract.

Also it's always much easier to state initially what rate you want - highball it - and let the agent negotiate for you. Once in a contract you'll be lucky to get substantial rises on renewals.

In 2 years I've only got a 3% rise on my rate - but I was happy with the initial rate and still am happy with what I'm getting, so it doesn't matter.
    Exactly - as long as you're happy with it, you're fine. You can always look for a rate increase at first contract renewal, once you're established and they know that they want to keep you around.

One thing I would say is to warn against pricing things up as (for example) "ooh - I can buy that plasma TV, I only have to work for a week to pay for it". Once you're on that slippery slope, it can be hard to get off...

HTH,

Faqqer
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

A few weeks ago I quoted 'about 500 pounds' to an agent and he said 'ok' by email.

I have now passed tech test and 2 interviews and think the client will want me this week.

The role is fairly heavy and with a great deal of out of hours work. I think it is worth 10/15% more at least.

*if* it is offered .... how should I proceed to get the 'best' rate ? I don't want to scare off the (premier league) client. I agree with one comment above that you need to get your rate at the start as renewals will only provide a modest increase if you're lucky.

Comment

I am up for renewal with hays, for the first time since I moved to my ltd company set-up. therefore had the contract check with qdos couple weeks ago. It fails and hays say it their standard contract and their lawyers will not change it.

Ask my agent on the phone about a rate rise and he told me to submit a business case. After I put that because their contract fails IR35 I will now have the extra tax burden to cover and a cost of living increase since I have been there on the same rate for a year. Wasted my time as they refused that also, excuse being the client being under strict budget.

I am pretty certain the client would not want to bring in another contract as they are want to take on full time staff now. So when I walk next week I will have the last laugh.

Comment

Legends - get the offer and then negotiate. I think you're in no-mans-land right now with regards to stating rates. You should have given the rate you're happy with at the start (though at the risk of pricing yourself out) or now you'll have to wait to see if the client really wants you, and then give your final rate to the agency.

Once the client wants you, the agency can then see the finish line and wants to cross it soon as possible to get their commissions. Of course they'll be loath to give you more but it's either that or risk losing their client.

Just don't be too greedy, and be prepared to find another contract if need be.

Comment

Will make sure I never hire contractors through them then!! They are on a list of possible preferred suppliers as well, might have to have a chat with the HR chicks about that one...

Thier lawyers sound like dopey gits.

Comment

I'd recommend just taking the rate offered initially, as it's your first contract role.

Get your foot in the door, get your first contract under your belt - THEN you can start claiming for more fees (assuming you're good

Comment

Originally posted by mictech
                Ask my agent on the phone about a rate rise and he told me to submit a business case.
                I heard that from someone else too. Fecking cheek of it. Do you think PwC and the like have to write a business case for their rates?

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

lol - business case: "because I walk if you don't sort it out and you lose a cash cow"
                  "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                  X