• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

QDOS Contract failed CEST online test - where did I go wrong?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is the spreadsheet mudskipper posted a few weeks ago?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Don’t know if it will help with clarification but I’ll be working with the client to provide architectural services:

1. Define an architecture practice, governance procedures and policies.
      2. Assist in the definition of a TOM for IT
      3. Enterprise Architecture services to drive IT strategy

Thanks for the comments so far. TBH, I got a bit confused with the questions around doing things before getting paid. I almost provided the opposite answer to all those questions.

The client is up for the full substitution clause, but the contract does state that the client can reject the substitute if they don’t like them, they are not forced to work with them.

Comment

Originally posted by bigrob View Post
        Don’t know if it will help with clarification but I’ll be working with the client to provide architectural services:

Thanks for the comments so far. TBH, I got a bit confused with the questions around doing things before getting paid. I almost provided the opposite answer to all those questions.

The client is up for the full substitution clause, but the contract does state that the client can reject the substitute if they don’t like them, they are not forced to work with them.
        Based on that, I think you probably answered the "how" part of control accurately. You collaborate with your client on "how", rather than working on your own to determine "how". It sounds like the "method" is an output (or one output) and you work with your client to determine that method and hence you both contribute to "how". You aren't given a spec and then treated as a black-box.

Comment

Why were you involved in the CEST in the first place?

I’d be dubious about having an existing QDOS approved contract (which as it happens I do!) & then having any hand in answering questions which would cause it to then fail come April.

Wouldn’t even go there!

Comment

If the client is onside, get then to get the agency to change the contract. The contract has to reflect the reality on the ground, not define it!
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              Of course it involves costs. They are not normally a client liability, and would be factored into your rate anyway.
              Just to add, those CEST questions explicitly exclude commuting travel costs as reasons to answer 'yes'. You have to visit the questionnaire to see the footnotes.

Comment

Originally posted by rawly View Post
                Why were you involved in the CEST in the first place?

I’d be dubious about having an existing QDOS approved contract (which as it happens I do!) & then having any hand in answering questions which would cause it to then fail come April.

Wouldn’t even go there!
                It’s the “direct” contract between my Ltd and the client. We sat down together and went though the test for confirmation. I was under the impression that if the Substitution was in place then it’s a default pass - obviously not.

Comment

If the client is onside, get then to get the agency to change the contract. The contract has to reflect the reality on the ground, not define it!
                  The client are onside in all fairness, they want to ensure that we are both comfortable that we are outside IR35. Just keen to Knowsley what to change to get an approval to give the client confidence.

It’s the “direct” contract between my Ltd and the client.

Comment

It’s the “direct” contract between my Ltd and the client. We sat down together and went though the test for confirmation. I was under the impression that if the Substitution was in place then it’s a default pass - obviously not.
                    Tell them they should not have the right to refuse the substitute. If they have that right it's not a substitue it's a job candidate.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Of course it involves costs. They are not normally a client liability, and would be factored into your rate anyway.
                      So I'm correct in saying that the OP would have to incur costs before they are paid by the client then?

I think the point of those questions is to help demonstrate financial risk, e.g. shelling out on a month's worth of accommodation and travel only to find out you don't get paid because they've used you for a month's free consultancy and good luck getting the money off them
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X