• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trying to do contractor work after working full time 10 years in the same company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by techperson View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how long normally does your contracts last? Are these jobs always sort of long term like several months? Maybe I had the wrong impression that there would be jobs for a few days/weeks?
    What kind of job/task did you envision that would last days/weeks, but can't be done with the already existing resource in a company?

The reason why the contracts are 3m+ is that usually there is a longer term need for additional resource. Odd jobs are usually handled by the existing members of staff.

The admin overhead of getting someone on board for couple of days/weeks is not worth it for larger companies and smaller companies generally can't afford contractors on one hand and are happier to take on the risk of their existing staff trying it on with a new technology, rather than paying extra for external help.

Comment

Most contractors work for large companies, this is completely different to what you do. You are probably going to have to build the business in the way you are doing at the moment, providing a service for several companies coming in for no more than a few weeks to migrate their systems. I think this is much more challenging but sounds like an opportunity to build a real business rather than work as a temporary employee, which is what most contractors do, however much they won't like that label. I imagine you'll find it difficult to find similar kind of work for large companies. If you want to do that you'll have to be more technically focused, and work as one member of a larger team. Simply perusing jobserve will give you an idea as to what is available.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
        What kind of job/task did you envision that would last days/weeks, but can't be done with the already existing resource in a company?

The reason why the contracts are 3m+ is that usually there is a longer term need for additional resource. Odd jobs are usually handled by the existing members of staff.

The admin overhead of getting someone on board for couple of days/weeks is not worth it for larger companies and smaller companies generally can't afford contractors on one hand and are happier to take on the risk of their existing staff trying it on with a new technology, rather than paying extra for external help.
        Yep, and any quick/easy jobs in the cloud will be automated soon if they're not already.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I am currently doing something similar to what you want.
          Consulting for a small company on Office 365. This is only something on the side (1-2 days/week) while I am working mainly for a large PS client.

Everyone is right, these types of contracts are VERY rare. Mostly because of 2 reasons:

1 - Cost, as mentioned by others small companies dont have the budget to hire contractors
          2 - MSP, Most small companies (if they dont have IT in house) have their IT needs supported by an existing MSP so dont need contractors

The only reason this gig came along was because the small company were not happy with their MSP and didnt trust them with the work.

Comment

Originally posted by techperson View Post
            I'm at the moment doing some small jobs for other IT companies that I met through events and friends, so they are outsourcing some of their work to me for example Office 365 deployments, migrating VMware environment to a private cloud provider and so on. I was hoping I could do some of these jobs directly to the customers, but indeed that doesn't seem to be how the market works.

I'm planning to deep dive in O365 world and stop doing VMware stuff and focus more on Azure. I would like to have my own clients and just run my company, slowly expanding. The idea of doing these contracts would be to fill the gap in between and be exposed to different industries while doing some cool work.

I was doing Aribnb hosting a few years ago and I hosted a person that was doing some IT contractor work upgrading/installing software for about 2 weeks. I never got into detail back then so I'm planning to contact the chap and get some more info. That is the kind of stuff I was hoping to find for the time being until my other work becomes more consistent.

I'm all ears, pretty fresh here from 10 years working for a small MSP has narrowed down my field of view....
            As some have already replied, you need to have a very clear business proposition. I think you are conflating several different types of work or proposition under the catch all of 'contract' and each of these has a different model on the buyer and supplier side.

I would suggest you spend a day on the internet searching for very small companies/consultancies to see if there are other people in your market segment and size already doing the same thing.

You need to be very precise on your potential offering. For example 'soft skill side as well helping with IT strategy' is rather vague. Strategy is one of those areas that some companies will hire people for short term work or a few days a month. Typically this is at senior leadership level. Search for 'fractional CIO' to get an idea of what I mean.

As for soft skills, this can mean anything. I would expect any hire I make to my existing IT function to already have soft skills so what gap are you proposing to help out with? The soft skills IT functions normally lack are usually around leadership. This includes stakeholder management, collaboration, communication, creativity, problem solving. This is not the same as management.

Until you can answer these questions, I think you'll struggle to win any customers outside people you already know well.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post

General sysadmin stuff I was hoping, but clearly that is not the case. I'm gravitating to start Office 365 certifications and then Azure and focus on that going forward.

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              Most contractors work for large companies, this is completely different to what you do. You are probably going to have to build the business in the way you are doing at the moment, providing a service for several companies coming in for no more than a few weeks to migrate their systems. I think this is much more challenging but sounds like an opportunity to build a real business rather than work as a temporary employee, which is what most contractors do, however much they won't like that label. I imagine you'll find it difficult to find similar kind of work for large companies. If you want to do that you'll have to be more technically focused, and work as one member of a larger team. Simply perusing jobserve will give you an idea as to what is available.
              Yep, I've been running another company for a few years but unfortunately it was a lifestyle instead of a performance drive company and I got dragged into it. I'll keep building my budisiness as a MSP but focus my skill set on O365 and Azure and then manage to hire other people to do the lower level work as I get a better higher level understanding and sell more of my services. I've had a look on Jobserver, thansk for that. It seems Office 365 and Teams are in demand over there with good pay so that is a good direction to take in case decide to go contracting in the future.

Originally posted by MonkeysUncle View Post
              I am currently doing something similar to what you want.
              Consulting for a small company on Office 365. This is only something on the side (1-2 days/week) while I am working mainly for a large PS client.

Everyone is right, these types of contracts are VERY rare. Mostly because of 2 reasons:

1 - Cost, as mentioned by others small companies dont have the budget to hire contractors
              2 - MSP, Most small companies (if they dont have IT in house) have their IT needs supported by an existing MSP so dont need contractors

The only reason this gig came along was because the small company were not happy with their MSP and didnt trust them with the work.
              Thanks for sharing this, much appreciated. Indeed I'm getting most of my leads from people I know but hopefully in the near future I can nurture new leads from business I don't know. Time will tell. Are you just consulting or are you also building a company?

Originally posted by edison View Post
              As some have already replied, you need to have a very clear business proposition. I think you are conflating several different types of work or proposition under the catch all of 'contract' and each of these has a different model on the buyer and supplier side.

I would suggest you spend a day on the internet searching for very small companies/consultancies to see if there are other people in your market segment and size already doing the same thing.

You need to be very precise on your potential offering. For example 'soft skill side as well helping with IT strategy' is rather vague. Strategy is one of those areas that some companies will hire people for short term work or a few days a month. Typically this is at senior leadership level. Search for 'fractional CIO' to get an idea of what I mean.

As for soft skills, this can mean anything. I would expect any hire I make to my existing IT function to already have soft skills so what gap are you proposing to help out with? The soft skills IT functions normally lack are usually around leadership. This includes stakeholder management, collaboration, communication, creativity, problem solving. This is not the same as management.

Until you can answer these questions, I think you'll struggle to win any customers outside people you already know well.
              Yeah, you are right and I believe O365 Azure route will be the one that fits what I like most and also narrows down my knowledge enough to be relevant in the market

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X