• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT registration

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SandyDown
    At the end my accountant advised to register for the regular VAT not the flat rate one !!
    It depends. If your company's outgoings on things with VAT charged are very low then the flat rate scheme is normally better.

If there are large expenses that you can reclaim the VAT on then the normal regime is better.

Usual disclaimer - IANAA etc etc.
    Last edited by Gonzo; 7 January 2007, 22:43. Reason: My illiteracy.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown
      At the end my accountant advised to register for the regular VAT not the flat rate one !!
      Well it depends how much your inputs are but the general concensus is that Flat rate VAT is better.

What are you invoices / costs each month?

e.g.

Per Week

£1000 in
      £150 out

Flat Rate:
      Vat on 1000 = £175
      Vat Claimed Back = £26.25

Normal:
      Vat On £1000 = £175
      Vat Claimed Back ([1000 * 17.5%] - [1000 * 11%]) = £65

So total benefit: £28.75

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
        Doesnt matter what you do you'll probably get tSIC 72220. I build warehouses and I got other software consultancy and supply.
        Don't understand. You don't "get" a SIC code - YOU choose the one most appropriate for your business. But, to be fair, I can't remember which piece of paper you use to notify your chosen SIC code.

Comment

Well it depends how much your inputs are but the general concensus is that Flat rate VAT is better.

What are you invoices / costs each month?

e.g.

Per Week

£1000 in
          £150 out

Flat Rate:
          Vat on 1000 = £175
          Vat Claimed Back = £26.25

Normal:
          Vat On £1000 = £175
          Vat Claimed Back ([1000 * 17.5%] - [1000 * 11%]) = £65

So total benefit: £28.75

Wrong way round

Also the 11% (or whatever) is applied to Sales + VAT i.e. £1175 * 11%

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife
            Wrong way round

Also the 11% (or whatever) is applied to Sales + VAT i.e. £1175 * 11%
            Shhh...I'd almost got away with it.

Comment

Originally posted by martinb
              Don't understand. You don't "get" a SIC code - YOU choose the one most appropriate for your business. But, to be fair, I can't remember which piece of paper you use to notify your chosen SIC code.
              When you send in the inital VAT form they give you a SIC code which you can change. I had to change mine but was told that there wasnt a SIC code for management consultancy.

Comment

Doesnt matter what you do you'll probably get tSIC 72220. I build warehouses and I got other software consultancy and supply.
                You're a structural engineer?

Comment

Nope.

Most new warehouses are "speculative builds" i.e. there is no-one ordering it the developer just think that one will be needed in that area soon.

I take the clients plans, look for a suitable site (within the area defined by the COG study) that has planning permission (based on the drawings) and make changes as nessecary for the specifics of the project.

Or as seems to be happening more and more fixing the mistakes other people make when they do it in house.

Comment

Nope.

Most new warehouses are "speculative builds" i.e. there is no-one ordering it the developer just think that one will be needed in that area soon.

I take the clients plans, look for a suitable site (within the area defined by the COG study) that has planning permission (based on the drawings) and make changes as nessecary for the specifics of the project.

Or as seems to be happening more and more fixing the mistakes other people make when they do it in house.
                    So you're not an IT monkey then?
                    Call the cops

Comment

Nope. No monkey here.

Comment

Working...
                      X