• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV query

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MonkeysUncle View Post
    You say this but I just had to tell my cousin last week to take off his DOB AND Address!!!

But then he is just out of uni looking for graduate schemes! Naivety on his part
    Worry not sir.

Much of what he has to say is just loud mouthed, sweeping generalisations in attempts to endlessly prove all his non-points. An illustration of when ignorance clashingly collides with arrogance.

He's also decided in his limited sense that I, and anything I have to say, is to be ridiculed.

Ignore him. I do.

Comment

At the moment I've only got my last 10 years on my CV, because all the jobs I had before that were irrelevant permie jobs.

But I'm now getting to the point where I have to think about condensing what I've done in the relevant jobs.

My question is:
      4 years of that is at one client (over separate spells) doing similar tasks each time. And 3 years of it is at another client (over separate spells) doing similar tasks each time.
      Basically I've gone A->B->A->B

For those of you with repeat business, do you still space things out in order of most recent first? Or do you merge them by client?

I'm not on the bench yet, but when I am, I'm thinking of keeping things in order of most recent first and structuring as:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 - 2019 Client A
      Further to the projects done for [Client A] in 2013 - 2015 (see below), this time I focussed on ................{few details}

2015 - 2017 Client B
      Further to the projects done for [Client B] in 2012 - 2013 (see below), this time I focussed on ................{few details}

2013 - 2015 Client A
      Lots of details

2012 - 2013 Client B
      Lots of details

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How does that sound as an order/structure? Or will the recruiter/agency be too lazy to look further down the page for the extra detail?

Comment

Originally posted by PTP View Post
        At the moment I've only got my last 10 years on my CV, because all the jobs I had before that were irrelevant permie jobs.
        This bit relates to my original point about possible exposure of age (& possible discrimination), by fully & honestly disclosing work history details, & someone at the agency doing a swift calculation & concluding that you must be in a certain age bracket, & therefore decides not to put you through for interview because of it.

You're doing the reverse by not providing full work history, thereby appearing to be 'younger' than you actually are, because rather than providing a full work history (as I currently am) you are only providing just 10 years, thereby appearing to the agent that you are a relatively young whipper-snapper. So, based on this, he/she decides to put you through to the client, but in reality you could be 10/20+ years older than that.

I'm trying to imagine things from interview pov; client is expecting a young whipper-snapper (based on what he/she's read on your CV), but when you turn up you simply aren't.

Am I right for being honest, or are you right by being dishonest/economical with the truth?
        Clarity is everything

Comment

Am I right for being honest, or are you right by being dishonest/economical with the truth?
          That isn't being dishonest/economical with the truth - especially when applying for contract jobs.

With permie jobs maybe it would be dishonest/economical because the company would want to know more about you fitting it with the team and how long their investment in you might be rewarded.
          But with contracts where you are going to be there for at most 2 years, they wouldn't care about your age.

Plus as already said, they could do simple maths from where I've put the year of graduation.

So the rule I use, only put things on your CV that add any value to your application

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            You are not really selling your self as a valuable commodity to the business anymore. That's perm stuff. You are now focused on proving you have the skills and experience to be able to complete the task the client requires at the rate agreed. That puts a whole different slant on the CV. It is no longer the story of your life. It's a sales brochure for a particular gig.

The first page is Profile (3/4 lines), skills (pick 4 of the most relevant to the role and then your gigs. Lots of information for each one so I've only got 2 on the first page. All bullet points are most relevant ones the new role is asking for. Each gig past that on page 2 start dropping in number of bullets to the point the roles are irrelvant so become just a one liner. Only degree or professional qualifications at the bottom, nothing else. No schools, GCSE, A levels. No hobbies or references or any of that crap.

Awesome. To the point!

Comment

I took my DOB off my CV years ago and my full address.

I only have my contract roles listed I did used to have some permanent roles on it also but when it started going over 3 pages I took them off its now 2.5 pages long. My contracts start from 2008 but only the most recent 4/5 roles have bullet points on what I did there anything after that is just the months I worked there, job title and company name.

My first page just consists of my name where I am based and my contact number, a brief paragraph of what I'm looking for and my main experience and then any training courses and bullet points of main achievements/systems I have done/worked with.

Comment

Working...
              X