• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice Needed Please be Gentle with Me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
    dont feel guilty its just business

dont tell them until as late as possible

work back from when you will want to go, add on your notice period or about a month, and use that as a baseline ( it may become obvious before then, if so be open and honest with end client but still no need to tell agent as they are unlikely to know if they are not actually seeing you regularly). do you want to work again after some leave? if so this end client maybe a good place to go back to?

establish good relationship with the end client and tell them before the agent, work out with the end client what they (and you) want to do about it, then tell the agent

dont tell the agent too soon or they will be very naughty

good luck, if youre in the midlands come round for a coffee we have lots of experience on kiddie issues

cheers
    This is great thank you so much.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      This +1. Congratulations.

What everyone else has said really. Hopefully your client will understand and can both work out the best situation for both parties.
      Thank you. I hope so too.

Comment

Thank you to all who replied. I am feeling much better with the amount of advice and support. It is sometimes very hard juggling life and work. I definitely want to come back to work after baby and hope I can approach the agent again all going well. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by worrieduk View Post
          Thank you to all who replied. I am feeling much better with the amount of advice and support.
          I am very scared of the comeback from the post as I have seen the experienced guys are quite "direct" but that's ok.
          So, we're not quite so bad...tbh, we tend only to savage the stupid, lazy and people trying to pull a fast one.

I definitely want to come back to work after baby and hope I can approach the agent again all going well. Fingers crossed.
          No matter how much they whine when you quit, they'll be your best friend like a shot if they can make money from you again.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Thank you. It is 100% work from home luckily so they most likely won't notice anything till I tell them. I will take your advice on board. I hope the agent won't be cross if I approached the client first.

As advised by notallthere, I could also try to use a substitute but whether they will cooperate is another thing. When I was trying to fully understand how it would work, they said no one has used it.
            In that case tell them only 1 week before to get the extra income.

It may seem harsh but trust me most IT agencies treat contractors like disposable resources when it suits them as that is all you are to them. They can still come across as the nicest people in the world when they want something from you (revenue generation) but when it comes to pure business decisions they can be very cruel & your needs are bottom of their desire to fill the post ASAP to keep the revenue stream rolling in.

Few years ago I was on the wrong side of a situation where they wanted to replace me purely as someone's best mate needed a job (mine!). Whilst I was standing next to them the hiring manager was talking over the phone to my agent about my replacement & neither of them realised I could hear it all unfolding. The agency even denied it afterwards despite me telling them I could hear them openly discussing it!

Its an impersonal business most of the time now & again you may come across experienced recruiters who are genuine nice people but its the exception not the norm as most are commission sales based & come from those business sectors with practically zero IT experience!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              So, we're not quite so bad...tbh, we tend only to savage the stupid, lazy and people trying to pull a fast one.

No matter how much they whine when you quit, they'll be your best friend like a shot if they can make money from you again.
              I sure hope so . Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                In that case tell them only 1 week before to get the extra income.

It may seem harsh but trust me most IT agencies treat contractors like disposable resources when it suits them as that is all you are to them. They can still come across as the nicest people in the world when they want something from you (revenue generation) but when it comes to pure business decisions they can be very cruel & your needs are bottom of their desire to fill the post ASAP to keep the revenue stream rolling in.

Few years ago I was on the wrong side of a situation where they wanted to replace me purely as someone's best mate needed a job (mine!). Whilst I was standing next to them the hiring manager was talking over the phone to my agent about my replacement & neither of them realised I could hear it all unfolding. The agency even denied it afterwards despite me telling them I could hear them openly discussing it!

Its an impersonal business most of the time now & again you may come across experienced recruiters who are genuine nice people but its the exception not the norm as most are commission sales based & come from those business sectors with practically zero IT experience!

I will keep that in mind. Looks like I need to be more thick skinned Thank you.

Comment

Because you mentioned 12 months.. Is this a "contract" contract or a fixed-term contract? Are you using your Ltd?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by l35kee View Post
                    Because you mentioned 12 months.. Is this a "contract" contract or a fixed-term contract? Are you using your Ltd?

Hello, not sure if I understand fully but it is a 12 month contract which might be renewed depending on if the client has more work, however work only guaranteed for the 12 months signed. I am using a LTD. Thank you.

Comment

Hello, not sure if I understand fully but it is a 12 month contract which might be renewed depending on if the client has more work, however work only guaranteed for the 12 months signed. I am using a LTD. Thank you.
                      What is the notice period? I wouldn't use the word "guaranteed" if it's outside of IR35!

Comment

Working...
                      X