• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Not allowed to give notice?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
    Knowing people directly isn't what we're talking about here. Once you've worked with someone, and done a good job, it's a given that they'll consider you again for future work. But that doesn't get you the very first gig, when you're unknown to the client, does it?

Here, we're talking about the kind of reputation that precedes you. Like the reputation within business of companies like IBM, SAP, Microsoft, Oracle, Accenture, Tata Consultancy Services et al. Companies that will have their services engaged by clients without said client directly knowing anyone, personally, within the company.

Have you ever been so engaged?
    You have erected a straw man.
    All I’m saying is that leaving a client in breach of contract is unprofessional and may well harm your future contracting opportunities.
    You can disagree all you like... but IMO you’re wrong.
    As for the OP... My original suggestion was to leave as they were going pemie so somewhat less relevant.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      You have erected a straw man.
      All I’m saying is that leaving a client in breach of contract is unprofessional and may well harm your future contracting opportunities.
      You can disagree all you like... but IMO you’re wrong.
      As for the OP... My original suggestion was to leave as they were going pemie so somewhat less relevant.
      Fair enough, we have strayed off point somewhat.

Of course, you're entitled to believe that leaving a client in breach of contract is unprofessional and "may well harm your future contracting opportunities", but understand that that is merely your opinion. There's a number of other people on here, who having "been there and done that" themselves, will say the exact opposite, that such behaviour won't harm your future contracting opportunities.

As for it being "unprofessional". Well, maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but then so too is it "unprofessional" when a client demands contractors take a 20% rate cut 6 weeks into the gig or walk. Yes, yes, we all know it's the client's prerogative to do this since they're holding the money etc. but that doesn't make it any less unprofessional.

I just think it's important to get some balance here from those, such as yourself, who will assert that such future opportunities absolutely will be negatively affected when there's absolutely no guarantee of that.

Clearly, YMMV. Caveat emptor, but there's no definitive right or wrong here.
      Last edited by billybiro; 21 September 2018, 12:53.

Comment

Working...
      X