• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Renewal Advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    If you've delivered over the last year you've provided reasonable certainty that you will deliver in the coming six months, and reasonable certainty that you are able to fit in and work with people there and not throw your toys out of the pram if someone looks at you the wrong way.
    i.e. carry on doing what you are being paid to do and meeting the expectations of the client.

That's a better value than you offered when you started. When they brought you on, they had no such certainty. They paid you £X even with the risk that you were going to be useless. 6-12 months later, that risk is removed so you are worth more to them than a new guy who has those same risks.
    But the rate is not artificially lower because of that risk. They want a guy to deliver at £xxx. If the risk is realised that it isn't him they go get someone else. If expectations are met the guy continues to deliver at the rate offered.

Add to that, you are embedded in the project and know the code. When you started, that wasn't the case. So you certainly WILL provide better value on this contract than the starting one because you are going to be far more productive in the first two weeks of this one than you were in that initial contract.
    Again, if this were the case the rate would be artificially lower and it isn't. You are paid for the time and the expertise you have.

So unless you aren't professional enough to keep on providing quality work after renewal, of course you'll be giving better value than when you started.

And it isn't holding the client to ransom, either. It's normal business behaviour. Businesses often charge lower rates on services and products until they've proved themselves. And they also have costs go up all the time and pass those on to their customers. It's normal and expected.

Of course, if you aren't that good and the client can easily replace you, you have a weak position and you'd be better focusing on improving than asking for more money.
    But agents and clients don't apply this logic to contractors. It's bum on seats at a set price. I've also seen plenty of contracts where 10% year on year savings are expected because the supplier is now more efficient. Should we expect that to happen as well..

You are right in what you say but it just doesn't apply to a bum on seat delivering skills. It's the same skill at the same price. Nothing has changed. The fact the the clients in a vast majority of cases won't change their rate card is evidence of this. In some cases they do, happy days. In most they won't.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I am, as a business, entitled to raise my prices to reflect the increasing workload, difficulty and responsibility.

If they want to buy goods from a different shop because they don't like the price, they are entitled to do that.

The bit that makes it contentious is that they are a captive audience, and charging an additional tax for that would be in poor taste.

If they had any sense they would offer me 10% more as a gesture of good will in an effort to retain me.
      They want a premium service they ought to expect to pay a premium price.

Maybe I should the client I want 10% more because of the additional expectations (paid OT & on call)

An alternative I was thinking is mentioning to the client that I want to squeeze the agents margin and intend on asking the agent for a rise, just to gauge the response and also drop a not so subtle hint.

Comment

Fill your boots then. After the agent dropping a fixed commission to accommodate a rise then I think you are on a wish and a prayer.

If you really think you are due one from the client then go for it. I think we've covered all the bases on this thread so just to you to do what you want now.

What do you know about IR35? All this extra responsibility and the other aspects you've mentioned through this thread is starting to sound like you are taking on more that you signed up for so D&C and MoO might be a problem?
        Last edited by northernladuk; 30 July 2018, 06:30.

Comment

There is a lot of misinformation in this thread about you are providing the same services and thus you aren't going to get a raise/having to justify your raise. All rubbish. At the end of the day, the agent/client may decide to give you more just to avoid the hassle of getting someone new in and having it all falling to pieces - that is a fact that I have seen countless times occur, even for somewhat incompotent contractors . As for if you will get it, well you can only ask and see what happens, no one here can determine even the likelihood of you getting a raise.
          Last edited by 1manshow; 30 July 2018, 09:04.

Comment

Originally posted by 1manshow View Post
            There is a lot of misinformation in this thread about you are providing the same services and thus you aren't going to get a raise/having to justify your raise. All rubbish. At the end of the day, the agent/client may decide to give you more just to avoid the hassle of getting someone new in and having it all falling to pieces - that is a fact that I have seen countless times occur, even for somewhat incompotent contractors . As for if you will get it, well you can only ask and see what happens, no one here can determine even the likelihood of you getting a raise.
            But he's already had a raise on that basis. The agent cut their fixed rate for him which is pretty unheard of to be honest.

Comment

Suck it up and carry on at the same rate, doing the same great work on this gig and you're more likely to get repeat business, sometimes at a higher rate. I've had that experience at least twice.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by aft View Post
                I am, as a business, entitled to raise my prices to reflect the increasing workload, difficulty and responsibility.

If they want to buy goods from a different shop because they don't like the price, they are entitled to do that.

The bit that makes it contentious is that they are a captive audience, and charging an additional tax for that would be in poor taste.
                Whilst I appreciate the balancing act that is required in relation to the overall arc of this thread, I just want to address this specific point bolded above.

As someone else has previously pointed out, a raise in rates isn't always due to "extra value" being delivered. In fact, it very rarely is.

For example, what extra value is my gas & electricity supplier delivering to me when they raise my prices every year? What extra value is the landlord delivering to the tenant when he raises rent at the start of every term renewal? What extra value is the local council delivering to me when they raise my council tax every year? What extra value is my digital service provider delivering to me when they raise my prices every year (sometime more frequently)?

(For the record on the last two points, my own council has actually cut public services whilst still raising council tax and my digital services provider will deliver me a reduce service compared to previous years yet has continued to raise their prices).

Comment

Originally posted by 1manshow View Post
                  It rather depends whether you want to get repeat business from the same client in the (more distant) future. I have also seen this happen, even for less than fully competent contractors. I have also seen those same contractors effectively blacklisted from going back to the same organisation because said contractor was perceived, correctly, as having taken the chance to press home their advantage when they had the organisation over a barrel. And yes, I'm absolutely certain this has happened because at the time I was a permie in the hiring organisation. That organisation managed its contractors very well (IMHO). On the one side, the contractor-focused side, it rarely gave notice before the end of a contract (which meant, for example, people usually only got a 3 month gig as a first contract which was just enough time to find out if they were sh1t before not renewing if they were). On the other side, the specific rate negotiations were out of the direct hiring manager's hands and in a central team, to ensure no overinflated rates were paid. In other words the organisation balanced its exposure and risk with being respectful towards an important contractor pool. In an organisation like that, if you take the p1ss it WILL get remembered and you WILL be bottom of the list of people to get back in once you've finished the immediate piece of work in which you are entrenched.

How inclined you are to risk this will depend on a number of factors, including your own business ethics and how big of a deal it is to lose access to this client in the future.

Comment

Working...
                  X