• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Single Parent Not Compatible To Business Needs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    What a dick-head comment. I might get banned but that's being a total dick-head.
    I was put in post in post to support some staff in a young male suicide I used all my emotional and physical reserves to support these young colleagues. I have not made a fortune from contracting. Far from it. The hassles and dismay that have derived from it are far from fortuitous. I was used as a contractor to passify the needs of employer.

Comment

Originally posted by Lanny View Post
      I was put in post in post to support some staff in a young male suicide I used all my emotional and physical reserves to support these young colleagues. I have not made a fortune from contracting. Far from it. The hassles and dismay that have derived from it are far from fortuitous. I was used as a contractor to passify the needs of employer.
      Sadly alot of companies are outsourcing workers. Contracting or the gig economy(pimlico plumbers, uber, etcetc.).

HMRC will soon close down the contractor "loophole" and I expect the gig economy will be done at the same time.

Comment

OP, you sound like a good person with your heart in the right place.

Your managerial report sounds as if they are nepotistic and best avoided. The wording of a conversation regarding flexible hours needs to be carefully conducted. It sounds like no matter how tentatively you worded this to this manager they would have found a reason to get rid of you.

You are too good for that business and better off elsewhere. I would echo others that it is outrageous that companies are outsourcing such jobs just to reduce liability. This should be closed down soon, as it is destroying many jobs at the bottom (not yours), such as easy plumbing jobs that are 80% of the daily plumber fixes, delivery companies, you name it.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Lanny View Post
          I run a ltd company and yesterday my contract got terminated for my personal reasons. Not by myself I hasten to add. Following an exemplorary one to one just days before, my supervisor felt that my newly acquired status as a single mum would not be compatible to the job role. Is this even legal?
          Does not compute.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
            Does not compute.
            Read the f***ing thread.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Read the f***ing thread.
              Will that change what the OP wrote in their first message?

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                Will that change what the OP wrote in their first message?
                Like the majority of threads here, the opening post doesn't give the full picture. We probably still don't have it but everyone is entitled to a private life.

Yes there's some odd use of terminology; remember there are sectors who have moved into contract work/self employment who haven't lived the IR35 dream for the past 20-ish years. People who just want to work and pay their bills, not realising that companies placing or hiring them are not going to tell them anything useful. We all had to learn, so will they.

Comment

Working...
                X