• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving contract early?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaving contract early?

Hi, i am 3 months into a 6 month contract which i'm looking to leave for a better role (mainly due to the hours which are 12 hour days sadly), the notice period is 20 business days. I was wondering a few things:
    1. Is the same as in a permanent role where you give your notice that's that after the set amount of days in the notice?
    2. Is it frowned upon to "leave" a contract early for another role or to look for other roles?
    3. Will it reflect badly on me if/when i get a reference off the company who contracted me?

Many thanks

Originally posted by MJR7987 View Post
    Hi, i am 3 months into a 6 month contract which i'm looking to leave for a better role (mainly due to the hours which are 12 hour days sadly), the notice period is 20 business days. I was wondering a few things:
    1. Is the same as in a permanent role where you give your notice that's that after the set amount of days in the notice?
    2. Is it frowned upon to "leave" a contract early for another role or to look for other roles?
    3. Will it reflect badly on me if/when i get a reference off the company who contracted me?

Many thanks
    Sigh! Another one......
    1. no
    2. no or maybe
    3. maybe

somebody else will elaborate and point you to the search function and guides over there--------->
    Back to business!

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Phelan View Post
      Sigh! Another one......
      1. no
      2. no or maybe
      3. maybe

somebody else will elaborate and point you to the search function and guides over there--------->
      I'd probably say if you're tired at seeing the "vast" amount of these posts then just don't bother commenting on them....my 2 cents

Comment

I'd probably say if you're tired at seeing the "vast" amount of these posts then just don't bother commenting on them....my 2 cents
        Lolz

Comment

1 Yes
          2 possibly. Depends if you have a mercenary attitude and do it a lot or its just the odd time for a good reason.
          3 maybe
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Many thanks
            1. Yes
            2. Not if it's making you ill.
            3. You don't get those sort of references any more; three month stays at organisations are a bit of a red flag if they are more common than 9 months and upwards.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

* Yes - In writing, to the Agent, stating YourCo.'s last date supplying services to their EndClient.

* No - that is why there is a notice period. It is an option available for YourCo. to take.

* Who cares? I have been contracting over 18 years, and have only ever used the same agent twice, once (and that was my choice).
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

This is contracting. Everything is negotiable.
                How badly screwed will the hiring manager be by your departure?
                See answer for 2. But it probably doesn't matter

Comment

Working...
                X