• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self Billing in Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cloudcontractor View Post
    I've actually asked my accountant about this and I'm awaiting the reply on how to properly record self-bill invoices (using Xero in my case). I've been warned not to create my own invoice as this would represent a duplicate tax point.
    I don't know about Xero but in FreeAgent, the standard recommended way to correctly record sales on an accruals basis (and for VAT purposes if on accrual VAT accounting) is to create an invoice in the system. An exact duplicate record of the information on your self-billed invoice is not going to create a duplicate tax point because the invoice never gets sent. Think of it as nothing more than an implementation detail of how you record the sale in your books.

Unless Xero has support for logging self-billed invoices, you'll likely find the process is the same.

You *might* be able to work around it by journalling the appropriate sales/creditor accounts but you'd also have to correct journal the VAT and there's a good chance you'll mess it up - just create the dummy invoice. Nobody is ever going to know about it. If HMRC ask to see your records, you give them the self-billing invoice.

Comment

Makes sense, my accountant replied with the following:

In terms of self-billing invoices in XERO, as you say, you won’t be issuing your own invoices, but rather adding the self-billing invoices you receive from the customer to XERO to match off against the transactions as they clear your bank account. Be careful to raise the tax point as per your customer’s tax point to ensure any VAT is accounted for in the correct period once registered.
      I'm not entirely sure what he means by 'tax point as per your customer's tax point'. Presumably he just means with the same date and details as is on their invoice.

It feels slightly clunky but since I'm not dealing in thousands of invoices across the course of the year there won't be much opportunity for my accountant to get confused, and I'm attaching the pdf of their self-bill invoice to the invoice record in Xero so it'll all be evident.

Comment

... but surely, you are using cash accounting?

In which case, the date on the VAT invoice isn't relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by fidot View Post
          ... but surely, you are using cash accounting?
          Why would you assume this? I've always used accruals basis. It's the default as far as I'm aware.

Comment

I'm not entirely sure what he means by 'tax point as per your customer's tax point'. Presumably he just means with the same date and details as is on their invoice.
            That's exactly what he means.

Comment

Yes that's exactly what he means
              #notallaccountantsarethesame

Email Me
              Me on LinkedIn 15% off IPSE right here!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                That's exactly what he means.
                Jinx!
                #notallaccountantsarethesame

Email Me
                Me on LinkedIn 15% off IPSE right here!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                  Why would you assume this? I've always used accruals basis. It's the default as far as I'm aware.
                  Accruals may be the default, but cash accounting provides the least risk approach and best cash flow for contractor companies
                  Last edited by fidot; 21 June 2018, 07:27.

Comment

Working...
                  X