• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Handing in notice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanielSQL View Post
    Updates.

So I eventually handed in my notice a few days ago. And accepted a new contract the following day. However, someone has decided to make things a little tricky.

I received an email from my current client. Basically saying they don't want me to leave and have guaranteed that more work is on the way....

I think you can see where this is going. I'm now tempted to stick around. The new contract has great potential but is well over two hours away. Whereas my current contract is only 40 mins away....

I'm rather annoyed all of this couldn't be resolved before I started looking elsewhere... A real shame it had to come to this.
    You made the bed, now you lie in it.

That's the nature of the world.
    I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy.

Comment

Have you accepted or signed? Big difference.

Sounds like better the devil you know, especially from a work/life balance point of view.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by DanielSQL View Post
        Updates.

So I eventually handed in my notice a few days ago. And accepted a new contract the following day. However, someone has decided to make things a little tricky.

I received an email from my current client. Basically saying they don't want me to leave and have guaranteed that more work is on the way....
        No such thing as guarantee of future work in contracting. There is the offer of a guarantee to keep you but will still drop you if it suits them but in the meantime they've kept their resource.

I'm rather annoyed all of this couldn't be resolved before I started looking elsewhere... A real shame it had to come to this.
        I'm not 100% sure it has been resolved as per my first comment but it didn't have to come to this. You could still have played hardball earlier to resolve rather than having to wait for an excuse to stick it to them. If you'd engaged them earlier to set out your concerns before you started looking you could have probably got the same outcome. The problem is you had nothing to kick you in to shape, the new contract did. Next time deal with it at the earliest opportunity but act like you will definitely be leaving, you don't necessarily need the offer in the background.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X