• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interview Discretion

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't worry. When I used to be perm if my manager guessed i was having interviews he would have a chat with me and see if there was anything he could do to improve the situation

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
      I have an extension pending but not finalised yet and so looking at contract opportunities.
      Ohhhh you're a contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        At one place where I was contracting a guy turned up wearing a tie who normally was quite scruffy. So I asked him "Got an interview today?" - and he turned bright read. Highly entertaining.

Don't be a prat, take the day off.
        That'll be an expensive interview on a decent current rate and isn't always going to be practical (say the project is right up against a deadline). I agree with not showing it off (like the example you mentioned, as a tie very easily goes in a bag) but surely most clients understand that you're running a business too so if they find out you're interviewing elsewhere what's the harm?

Comment

Any service stations you can use to get changed in? Hell just go in trousers and shirt then stick your tie and jacket on later.

Im in a casual dress environment as well but go in smart occasionally for no other reason than I want to. Would be straight forward to turn stick a jacket and tie on in a car 0ark.
          Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by man View Post
            That'll be an expensive interview on a decent current rate and isn't always going to be practical (say the project is right up against a deadline). I agree with not showing it off (like the example you mentioned, as a tie very easily goes in a bag) but surely most clients understand that you're running a business too so if they find out you're interviewing elsewhere what's the harm?
            If you're that worried, say that you were asked to do an early morning presentation in an area of expertise as a favour for an old client.

Comment

Originally posted by man View Post
              You've got to get over equating every day off in terms of lost revenue. You'll hate going on holiday, waiting in for the washing repair man and all sorts. You are on a massive whack, just take the day off and don't worry. It's hardly putting you on the breadline.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                You've got to get over equating every day off in terms of lost revenue. You'll hate going on holiday, waiting in for the washing repair man and all sorts. You are on a massive whack, just take the day off and don't worry. It's hardly putting you on the breadline.
                Ditto that. I spent the first two years contracting considering that every holiday I took was paid for twice - holiday cost and loss of earnings cost. I soon snapped out of that and moved to working out my target day rate based on 40 working weeks a year. I don't always hit it but it makes me less nervy about days off.

You could always journal it through your LtdCo as an opportunity cost to the P&L.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
                  Any service stations you can use to get changed in? Hell just go in trousers and shirt then stick your tie and jacket on later.
                  That's exactly what I had to do once. Casual site like the OP.

I had a slight different problem, I had an interview on one of the hottest days in 2015. I took suit in a suit bag and then got changed in a nearby railway station.

I didn't want to turn up dripping with sweat.

Comment

Originally posted by chineseJohn View Post
                    That's exactly what I had to do once. Casual site like the OP.

I had a slight different problem, I had an interview on one of the hottest days in 2015. I took suit in a suit bag and then got changed in a nearby railway station.

I didn't want to turn up dripping with sweat.
                    Ah yeah.. And if this weather keeps up, even changing into a suit only minutes before the interview will still have you dripping with sweat..

Nope.. Only thing for it is to attend the interview in the most appropriate dress for this weather:

Comment

One of the permies at a previous contract on a few occasions said he had to "nip out to his car for a meeting". He left about a month later. Still laugh at his straight face when he said it.

Comment

Working...
                      X