• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Venturing into contracting*Advice appreciated*

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TOSH1 View Post
    It is FACT, not speculation that IR35 is coming into the Private Sector.
    IR35 is already in the private sector and has been for many years

Comment

Originally posted by Dhrucku View Post
      My real experience has been accumulated over the last six years through the development and rolling out of project lifecycles within various roles and Divisions within a corporate banking environment and one other institution which was not so mature in its project methodologies so I had to develop them and roll them out from scratch.

I label myself as a PMO Manager at the moment with ownership for the methodologies used to manage and govern projects but understand that there are opportunities at below the level I’m currently doing which are paying a good premium....
      You won't get a contract role just for doing this - any contractor PM/PMO would be expected to be able to do this as small feed, in addition to whatever PM assignment they have been brought on board to deliver...

Comment

Originally posted by Dhrucku View Post

My real experience has been accumulated over the last six years through the development and rolling out of project lifecycles..... I had to develop them and roll them out from scratch.......
        I label myself as a PMO Manager at the moment with ownership for the methodologies used to manage and govern projects.......
        and am fully versed in setting up something from scratch in a project environment and have proven success of it.......
        I’d firmly place myself as someone who is able to walk into an organisation and build a framework or methodology for projects to enable appropriate governance all the way up to CEO level in terms of coverage.
        This permie CV padding just has to go. 'Building frameworks' 'ownership of methodologies'....what the hell is all this?

What they want to know is whether you will deliver to quality, on time and on budget without completely alienating their workforce while you do it. That is mostly it. And they want to see evidence that you will deliver to quality, on time and on budget.

It's all about delivery - not producing framework methodologies to underpin governance or some other such nonsense.

I do wish all contractors well, but beware: the bankruptcy courts are full of drinkers who think they can run a pub; of diners who open a restaurant, and of hiring managers who think they can become contractors. It really is very different this side of the fence.

Comment

Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post
          This permie CV padding just has to go. 'Building frameworks' 'ownership of methodologies'....what the hell is all this?

What they want to know is whether you will deliver to quality, on time and on budget without completely alienating their workforce while you do it. That is mostly it. And they want to see evidence that you will deliver to quality, on time and on budget.

It's all about delivery - not producing framework methodologies to underpin governance or some other such nonsense.

I do wish all contractors well, but beware: the bankruptcy courts are full of drinkers who think they can run a pub; of diners who open a restaurant, and of hiring managers who think they can become contractors. It really is very different this side of the fence.
          Wot he said. Which is also wot I said...
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I think the way the private sector may handle IR35 is just to ensure that its contracts are indeed outside of it.

After all, that's what you're all doing already, right?
            ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post

Noted, I will be looking at rejigging my CV to be a lot more contractor - direct at some point within the next few months, however am surprised I'm still getting a lot of interest even now with my feelers into agencies so not sure how much real value contractor proofing my CV adds. It goes without saying I'll do this in time to avoid handicapping myself in the overall market but attributing success to a CV that lacks the contractor'y feel is a bit harsh.

This is not intended to call you out as you're definitely versed in the contractor area however, you're clearly misinformed or painting me with the "you're a permie, learn to contract" brush. Plus what you describe here is very Project Manager related NOT PMO (Portfolio Management Office) which is what I am and the service I provide.

The skills I've listed there ARE in demand and are stipulated in job adverts as can be seen here:
              PMO Analyst (Insurance) | Head Resourcing

I quote:

"The successful candidate will be responsible for providing PMO Services across two different projects, including managing RAID logs, coordinate status reports and ensure the projects are aligned to programme governance principles."

Also, see here (meets my required rate):
              https://www.indeed.co.uk/viewjob?jk=...rom=serp&vjs=3

Defining and building programme governance and controls, producing top-level analysis & reporting, and delivering governance support to business critical transformation programmes

Admittedly the former is at a lower rate but I see many adverts similar to this at my required rate as it is one of the many key requirement for the majority of PMO roles.

Of course everything is about delivery in the Project world - goes without saying so your comments are fairly simplistic. My qualifications (or evidence) of delivering on cost, scope (not quality as you stated ) and time are respectable within permanent environments so hopefully at some point can translate this appropriately to a prospective employer in a contract environment, we all have to start somewhere and believe me I'll take what's given especially as it's the first contract.

Thanks to all for the contributions.
              Last edited by Dhrucku; 24 April 2018, 13:17.

Comment

Fair enough - but don't underestimate the importance of quality as a deliverable. You're charging a lot of money, you are expected to exceed expectations on both quality and speed of output, you are not there to follow the existing corporate parameters; for one thing you are 100% utilised as a contractor, not the typical 80% that most permies manage.

And as I've said before, your job is not being a PMO, that's what you're selling. Your job is to be a contractor and a service provider - and a very good one.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                X