• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Childrens ISAs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    Setup similar but now oldest is nearly 18 I am very wary of handing over thousands in cash to finance some 'interesting' lifestyle choices AND you have to hand it over....
    Time again, I would retain control and dispense accordingly to maintain very limited control.
    When I first read that my initial reaction was that at 18 your child will be old enough to live completely independently and if you're really giving it to them then you should just trust them with it.

THEN I remembered what happened to my sister and I... We both got trust funds which became available after x years, as it worked out mine was available when I turned 20 and my sisters when she turned 18. I used mine to pay the legal fees and some of the deposit on my first house, she pissed hers up the wall on McDonalds and cheap vodka!

So I'd probably say keep it to one side and let them ask for it if they need it - deposit on a house? no problem, Car? ok.. Massive party for all your friends in Prague. Probably not.

My kids currently have a few K each in those government trust funds (Will be about £5k ish when they hit 18) and 11k each in their bank accounts getting 2% the deal is that they can have the trust fund for a first car etc but the money in the bank accounts is for house deposits.

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
      It is in bricks and motar until the wife and I kick the bucket. Then they have their inheritance rather than a piddling 10 or 20 grand each.
      Cant tell if you are joking or not...

I'd rather be able to give the kids something when they are at the age when they are moving out into the world on their own and need a boost instead of when they are middle aged and have no real need of the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Snarf View Post
        So I'd probably say keep it to one side and let them ask for it if they need it - deposit on a house? no problem, Car? ok.. Massive party for all your friends in Prague. Probably not.

My kids currently have a few K each in those government trust funds (Will be about £5k ish when they hit 18) and 11k each in their bank accounts getting 2% the deal is that they can have the trust fund for a first car etc but the money in the bank accounts is for house deposits.
        The problem people are highlighting that in a Childrens ISA it is legally their money, so while you can do your best to convince them to hold on to it for a house or car etc, if they want to take all their friends to prague with it you can't stop them

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
          The problem people are highlighting that in a Childrens ISA it is legally their money, so while you can do your best to convince them to hold on to it for a house or car etc, if they want to take all their friends to prague with it you can't stop them
          True that...2 mates from my youth got a few k at 18, both bought motorbikes the next week. Yeah, they are grown up, if you have raised them right blah blah.
          Reality is that it's often a dificult transition from 17-21 and having some control of funds might be the only control you have.
          Personal experience for an advert kid who has wobbled off the straight line in 2nd year of A-Levels.
          Course if you are maxing out your own and missus ISA limits (40k+/year) then I guess you need somewhere to stash it...

Comment

Doesn't saving for your children defeat the object of parenting?
            You're supposed to be teaching them. Give them money, and they can save some of it themselves. If they don't save stop giving.

I'm not suggesting that you don't help them out with house deposits, or university fees, but don't save FOR THEM as they'll not learn anything and turn into snowflake millennials mk2 with no sense of personal responsibility.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              Doesn't saving for your children defeat the object of parenting?
              You're supposed to be teaching them. Give them money, and they can save some of it themselves. If they don't save stop giving.
              Isn't that effectively the point of a Junior ISA? You are giving them the money, except you're also investing it for them and they can't access it until they are 18.

That's where the teaching them about the value of money bit comes in. If you're worried about what they'll do with it when they are 18, then you have from now until then to teach them to use it sensibly.

Comment

Working...
              X