• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blacklisted/Blackballed/Defamation What to do next?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrButton View Post
    Please send me a copy of this spreadsheet so I can see if I'm on it!!!! If you don't, then I'm calling the police, if that doesn't work I'm going to hire a private investigator.

<<Sobs>>

<<Phones the ICO>>
    You weren't on it. The OP was though.

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
      I am struggling to believe someone has called the police because they think they have been black balled.

What evidence did you take to them?
      That is not what I said. What happened was there were a number of incidents the last one involved my Audi car windows being smashed and my house windows smashed in this was around the time of my last contract renewal. After this contract ended was when I started to have problems "blacklist" or whatever is happening. To be fair this was not the first time my car has been damaged but that and other things led the police to think it was personal perhaps an ex-boyfriend. Maybe it is just co-incidence but since then my recent investigations has shown a few strange things for example that my data was shared by and agency to possibly another contractor. Since reporting this agency (same agency as my very last contract) I have had a number of strange phone calls. I only just put two and two together and maybe it makes five? Waiting to see the outcome from the ICO and other investigations but wondering what else I can do?

Comment

Originally posted by PermieToContractorAndBack View Post
        I'm sorry if this offends you but not everyone views contractors as heroes
        Cirrus's point about celebrating was that as a contractor you appreciate it when companies choose to bring in contractors because they are less involved in office politics and tend to have wider experience and so get the job done.

I'm not offended that you don't think contractors are heroes. I don't think we are either. I think we are people who have made a lifestyle choice.
        You seem to think that
        you are also most likely in the minority
        if you have made that lifestyle choice and it works for you.

You also said that
        anyone sane would have bailed long ago.
        Are you saying that anyone contracting now is both abused and insane?
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
          Could you tell us what your skills are, and what kinds of roles you are going for and what your rate expectations are?

I think you also mentioned briefly above something about sex discrimination .... did you bring a case and win/lose and you think this is why you have been blacklisted?

I've been hiring contractors for 2 decades and given some of the tulip I get sent to me to be interviewed I can't believe there is any kind of blacklist. As previously mentioned, agents will pimp their worst enemy if it gets them a commission.
          I cannot go into too much detail about what I used to do as it was six years ago but I provided services non-technical for IT Implementations as an Independent Consultant. My last rate was £500 Per day (overworked and underpaid). I have never brought a case about sexual harassment or anything but I accept there is sex discrimination in the IT world.
          The rate I am currently asking may be an issue now as I have adjusted for mostly being inside of IR35 but rate was not an issue before and I do not see how rate would affect blacklisting?

Comment

Originally posted by boredfromsurrey View Post
            That is not what I said. What happened was there were a number of incidents the last one involved my Audi car windows being smashed and my house windows smashed in this was around the time of my last contract renewal... To be fair this was not the first time my car has been damaged but that and other things led the police to think it was personal perhaps an ex-boyfriend. ?
            Are you saying you suspect a former client or an agent of coming round to your house and causing criminal damage?

Maybe it is just co-incidence but since then my recent investigations has shown a few strange things for example that my data was shared by and agency to possibly another contractor.
            When you say your "data was shared" do you mean they saw your CV, or was your bank account details handed over, or something else?

I have had a number of strange phone calls.
            Strange as in "from the agency", or from someone telling you your computer had a virus, or asking if you need your oven cleaned, or if you've been in a car accident recently?

Comment

The rate I am currently asking may be an issue now as I have adjusted for mostly being inside of IR35 but rate was not an issue before and I do not see how rate would affect blacklisting?
              The rate may mean you don't get put forward. It's not blacklisting, but if you've decided you're worth £600 a day based on what you were on 6 years ago, and you have not done that role in the last 6 years, then it's not blacklisting, it's not being chosen because your rate exceeds your experience in the last 6 years.
              There are organisations that won't hire contractors who have a 6 month gap in their CV, but a 6 year one is an eternity in IT.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                I'm intrigued to know what type of information you've been given by the agencies and how this is affecting your ability to get a gig. And affecting your personal safety? Something isn't right here.
                I don't know that it is affecting my ability to find another contract. In one case it is a bit complicated to go into detail but one thing they did was share my information and discuss me with "another contractor". In another they have sent me a joke amount of information considering what they should hold and another two have not responded. I have reported all 4 of them. Other information I received from 3 other agencies was OK as expected a few question marks but nothing you would not expect from recruitment agencies. These 3 I have no problem with.

Sorry but I am not really a gig person

Comment

Since reporting this agency (same agency as my very last contract) I have had a number of strange phone calls.
                  At least the agencies are contacting you

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    The rate may mean you don't get put forward. It's not blacklisting, but if you've decided you're worth £600 a day based on what you were on 6 years ago, and you have not done that role in the last 6 years, then it's not blacklisting, it's not being chosen because your rate exceeds your experience in the last 6 years.
                    There are organisations that won't hire contractors who have a 6 month gap in their CV, but a 6 year one is an eternity in IT.
                    Ah no this is what I have to deal with. The first contract that fell through was for less money and the other two were for the same. I have had to change my rate to keep up with the market loads of advertised contracts to apply for which I do. What I am saying is that the "blacklisting" may have lead to the gap so whoever has done this should pay up. In case you think this is not a serious post it is! I have a true contract mentality and cannot quite get the £500 a day * 180 days a year (that was approx. my previous days invoiced)* 6 years out of my head. I am a bit angry

Comment

Originally posted by TonyF View Post
                      At least the agencies are contacting you
                      Funny but actually some agencies still contact me but not like they did before

Comment

Working...
                      X