• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ClientCo offers 90k to go permie. What is the equivalent day rate?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by l35kee View Post
    This, much better off than permie even if the rate's didnt move!
    Plus the lifestyle's better

Comment

Originally posted by l35kee View Post
      This, much better off than permie even if the rate's didnt move!
      What about if you have to travel / stay over and can't pay for that out of your pre-tax income? If work is on your doorstep then it's great but if it isnt then that £800 a day in't going to go too far when you pay your travel and accomodation yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyF View Post
        Your sums are wrong.

£90k basic will have £11k of employers NI to add on top of that, bringing it to £101k. Add on your 10 days of public holidays, your 25(?) days of paid leave, your training costs, the cost of your pension (because at that rate, you'd want a nice pension plan) and any other benefits and the headline figure of £90k is going to cost more than they are currently paying you.

Looking at what your day rate is at the moment and then trying to do a financial conversion is difficult - which of the benefits are important to you and which are ones you don't care about? Having a BUPA healthcheck as an employee perk is only worth something if you want it, itherwise it's meaningless in terms of making you comparison.

You've already said that the costs of hiring you on £90k come to £84k (I'm not sure where the rest of the figures come from), so if that's your calculation then your day rate is £725...
        Hi Tony,

Thank you very much indeed. This is absolutely what I was hoping to hear. One question if I may - please could you advise how £84k comes in at £725?

(btw my 84000 is 90 salary, 3000 benefits (there are very few here), and 11000 Employer NI less a 20% deduction for corporation tax on the staffing costs)

Comment

What about if you have to travel / stay over and can't pay for that out of your pre-tax income? If work is on your doorstep then it's great but if it isnt then that £800 a day in't going to go too far when you pay your travel and accomodation yourself.
          That's a fair point. I also begrudge paying tax on my pension payments when I'm going to be paying tax on my pension when I take it. Surely you're not supposed to pay tax twice in this way?

Comment

Its not 550 less 20% corp tax you also have to set aside the extra money for your personal tax calculation which adds a lot more tax overall. That 20% becomes closer to 35% @ 550 a day. Just take the 90K perm & st0p be1ng a greedy g1t! its going to cost this company around £110-115K to employ you @ 90K anyway. Personally I hope they outsource the r0le t0 s0me0ne less greedy

Comment

I live in an area, and work in a profession, where it will be.

Also, I wish I could get £800 a day. Working for the 2 months to cover the permie salary I wouldn't have a problem with even if it meant staying over.

Comment

I live near London and could get (far) more money with fewer expense items however the fuel and accommodation per week as a contractor is £300 which I'm happy to pay as I enjoy the town I'm working in (and would be loathe to go back to commuting to the City). Also, I work from home 2.5 days a week anyway. There's travel to the for the client too but they pay that of course.

I explained that at 90k as a permie, my £800 net expenses per month before tax would be a problem and that's how we came up with the calculation idea.

Essentially, if I can go to the FD and say 'this is my costs to you at 90k basic and it's the same / more than hiring me on 550 for another year' then they'll spring for it no worries.

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                  Its not 550 less 20% corp tax you also have to set aside the extra money for your personal tax calculation which adds a lot more tax overall. That 20% becomes closer to 35% @ 550 a day. Just take the 90K perm & st0p be1ng a greedy g1t! its going to cost this company around £110-115K to employ you @ 90K anyway. Personally I hope they outsource the r0le t0 s0me0ne less greedy
                  ok this is going to be less fun replying too...

Firstly, I'm not greedy. I'm a director maximising profit. I could give it all to the Corbyn fan club afterwards but I've never met a contactor (or a permie) who's said 'please pay me less'

Secondly my Ct600 figure is not relevant to my ClientCo.

Comment

https://goodcalculators.com/true-cos...ee-calculator/

Comment

Yes that’s useful and used it - but it’s not giving the actual cost including tax relief on staffing costs. It’s just the aggregate of bens plus NI.

Comment

Working...
                      X