• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Easter furlough at ClientCo

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
    And the problem is?
    Client: "Here's a 6 month contract".
    Contractor: "Thanks".
    Client: "Ah. It's the 'wrong' time of year, so you're on a 6 month furlough."
    Contractor: "Thanks. This contract of yours is proving highly valuable!"

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
      It's sometimes difficult to tell if people on this board are taking the p*ss.

Thankfully they pay well above market rate for the local area so I don't feel compelled to make any demands on the money side of things. I'd be pretty narked off if my current rate was broadly in line with market though.
      I think he was serious, but if he wasn't being, I will be.

You may already be on a very good rate, but you're not going to ask for +10% at renewal because you want the money. It's to make a point to the client that two can play at the game of making arbitrary alterations to conditions when it suits them.

Comment

2 weeks! Just think thats £1000s lost

Well actually no, we shouldn't think like that. The deliverables aren't going to disappear so you'll get the money eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy View Post
          Two ways to look at it ... Start networking hard for a start after the Easter break, if you get something that looks better than what you have, give notice and move on. If not, and you are harbouring a grudge then keep trying to go. Other than that enjoy your time off and keep billing after Easter - Welcome to Contracting
          He can also look for a short term contract to cover those two weeks. If they don't need him then some other companies might and they can't stop him working.

I have a plan B that I work on during furloughs and between contracts so I would think along those lines too. Use the time constructively or else just enjoy the time off with your family

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Some companies have summer furlongs.

I had one once

The problem with your Easter furlong is that Easter is early this year so it is probably going to be cold.
            Not in Barbados

Comment

Working...
            X