• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie with some questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by antoniojos View Post
    I assumed taking 2 one week holidays in a six month contract is something the client would frown upon or it may be a problem (ie they might cut the contract short).
    Not in my experience.

They would probably expect you to take a standard ~25 days a year. So 2 weeks in a 6 month contract shouldn’t raise eyebrows.

However I would discuss an option of getting a sub in if possible. At least then you show willing.

Comment

Just want to clarify: the faking illness - I assumed taking 2 one week holidays in a six month contract is something the client would frown upon or it may be a problem (ie they might cut the contract short).

Lies have a way of catching up with you so just don't do it.

Just tell them you're not available. If they ask what you're doing tell them it's something you planned months ago (assuming you haven't already lied to them - if you have you now understand what I meant with the first comment).

If you're delivering good work they aren't likely to end you early, except for any deception. It's not like they'll have to pay you for not working.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Thanks for the response.

They know about my first holiday which is in a few weeks, but I haven't mentioned the 2nd. I will let them know about the 2nd holiday.

Comment

I might seem overly cautious, but this is my first contract so I want to make a good impression and last the duration in order to get my business going and move on to more contracts.
          I often find that lying and getting caught tends not to make a good impression.

YMMV.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            You'd have to determine the expectations of the client on whether you should work for free or not. If you mean "do I have to work for free" then the answer is no. However, you might consider whether the possibility of a lengthier contract outweighs the cost of an extra hour or so here or there. Regularly working for free is not something I would recommend unless the rate is enormous.
            Frequently, the issue with this kind of thinking, that is doing some "free hours" because the client expects it in the hope that it will curry favour with the client when it comes to renewal time, is littered with problems. In my experience, clients who expect you to work for free will simply expect more and more of it when you do said free work. You may well get that extension, but ask yourself if it's an extension you really want given that it will be fully loaded with additional "free work" expectation.

Comment

1. Am I expected to work any extra(overtime) unpaid, if so what is an acceptable amount in terms of flexiability 30mins extra a day? an hour? 2 hours? - and not expect to get paid for these hours? The perms on my team stay at least an extra hour or two a day at the office. To clarify my hours are 9-5.30, but the perms work - 8.30 - 6.30/7
              Can you complete the work in the normal 7.5 hours? If so do that. If not, and you need an extra hour a day. Mention this and so it won't be a surprise when they get a timesheet with 8.5 hours on.

2. I get an hour for lunch(unpaid) the team I work with eat at their desks and work through their lunch hour, would I be inclined to do the same?
              Either take the full hour, or take 30 mins and leave 30 mins earlier (but confirm with management).

I imagine your contract probably says something like they won't pay you for the hour lunch, meaning they expect to pay a max of 7.5 hours a day, and not 8.5 hours a day as they haven't budgeted for that.

3. I have 2 holidays booked and need a week off for each of them, during the period of the contract, any advice on how I could make up for the lost time? My position doesn't offer or require WFH. Ideally I would like to salvage the loss of hours in those weeks by working for the client (side note, they know I'm going away for one trip, but the one following it is a month after and I have yet to tell them about that, thought I might be sick that week).
              Are you saying you'd like to work for them while on holiday?

Tell the client that you'll be on holiday, but will have x hours a day free which you would be happy to use to work on the project if they deem that acceptable.

4. Also my manager has made it known (already) that they will probably offer me a permanent position at some point, but money wise it wouldn't make sense for me to accept the perm offer, is there anyway I could stay at the job for the length of the contract, but also decline/delay the perm offer (when it comes) without offending the client? Ideally I just want to do the contract, and then move onto the next contract.
              I was offered a permie role 6 months into my contract. I thanked them for the offer, but explained why I chose to become a contractor and not a permie, and that I would be happy to continue with them on a contract bassis for as long as they needed me.

And when I said explained, I mean I lied. I didn't say because of the 3x income, but because of my love of the contractor lifestyle #lulz

Comment

Thanks for your help, everyone, much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Far too much permie thinking here. You need to start thinking like a business with a client. If you can get your head around that many of the questions like these will start to fall in to place.
                  I was immdeiately suspicious at:

I have browsed the forums and have had found some useful information.

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
                    I got a plumber in to fix my taps we agreed it would take him 1 hour to fix them for £50

When he was finishing off, I asked his to work late and tile my bathroom for free (another 2 hours)

He jumped at the chance to work for free, he said he knew an electrician that could come round and work for free also.

He told me every self employed person he knew worked for free.

Ohhh hang on, what he really said was Sure I can tile my bathroom for another £300 - I dont work for free, i am a business not a charity

Go home at 5pm every night on the DOT !!!!

Please do make sure you ignore the comment above. I cannot believe in this day and age we have this prehistoric thinking.

You want to be the "go to" contractor wherever you work, the reliable hard working guy that the team can't do without. Yes I know it is all about getting the balance right, but you want to be one of the higher performing contractors, not Joe Bloggs.

I was never shy of taking extra work (within reason) and working late. As a number of other posters have rightly pointed out, we all got paid very well as contractors and to me that came with what I thought was extra responsibilities.

No, I do not mean take on a weekend's worth of work all the time, but yes working through your lunch unpaid happens sometimes, plus late working to help on a particular tight deadline. Treat the company you are working for as you imagine you would like your own Ltd company to be treated by others.

Why do I say this? I was in a team of 26 contractors on an FI programme. Programme got part canned a few months in and we were only 4 contractors in the space of 2 months, it was horrible to see so many being walked out of the door but it is the life we have all chosen as contractors, it is the risk we take. Do what the poster says above and you can be part of the 22. Put some effort in, work hard, take a few extra responsibilities here / there and do a great job, be part of the 4. Its up to you.

I have found that the contractors who on average are never out of a role are the ones who do go the extra mile here and there.

Best of luck and enjoy contracting! It was a great life for the 5 years I did it.

Comment

Originally posted by PermMCCon View Post
                      Please do make sure you ignore the comment above. I cannot believe in this day and age we have this prehistoric thinking.

You want to be the "go to" contractor wherever you work, the reliable hard working guy that the team can't do without. Yes I know it is all about getting the balance right, but you want to be one of the higher performing contractors, not Joe Bloggs.

I was never shy of taking extra work (within reason) and working late. As a number of other posters have rightly pointed out, we all got paid very well as contractors and to me that came with what I thought was extra responsibilities.

No, I do not mean take on a weekend's worth of work all the time, but yes working through your lunch unpaid happens sometimes, plus late working to help on a particular tight deadline. Treat the company you are working for as you imagine you would like your own Ltd company to be treated by others.

Why do I say this? I was in a team of 26 contractors on an FI programme. Programme got part canned a few months in and we were only 4 contractors in the space of 2 months, it was horrible to see so many being walked out of the door but it is the life we have all chosen as contractors, it is the risk we take. Do what the poster says above and you can be part of the 22. Put some effort in, work hard, take a few extra responsibilities here / there and do a great job, be part of the 4. Its up to you.

I have found that the contractors who on average are never out of a role are the ones who do go the extra mile here and there.

Best of luck and enjoy contracting! It was a great life for the 5 years I did it.
                      THIS^^^^^^

Contractors who are out the door at 5PM on the dot are the first to be binned.

You get a good relationship with the client and you can bill for the extra time anyway. I only do those as half or full working days.

If I do a phone call and a document on a Saturday AM, even if it takes an hour or so, I bill half a day. They appreciate the extra effort, I appreciate the extra ££££.

I've had a week skiing and been paid for 3 of the days and the client's over the moon.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X