• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can I register my limited company address as my UK home address?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a thought... There used to be an accountant that frequented these boards and who was used by a number of posters on here. Some of whom used his office as their company address.

IIRC what he did to some of them was file their company accounts and get them to pay HMRC. He'd then refile with zero corp tax owed and reclaim the money himself*.
    Since all correspondence went to his office only they were none the wiser. Until it all blew up and he went to prison. Some of those he'd swindled were raked over the coals by HMRC for the correct money owed since as directors they were responsible for ensuring the correct tax was paid.

YMMV but I like to see a copy of any paperwork regarding MyCo.

*spaffed on house in Bahamas, Bentley, Box at Leeds FC etc.

Comment

SJD accountants offer a service to register your company at their address

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        Just a thought... There used to be an accountant that frequented these boards and who was used by a number of posters on here. Some of whom used his office as their company address.

IIRC what he did to some of them was file their company accounts and get them to pay HMRC. He'd then refile with zero corp tax owed and reclaim the money himself*.
        Since all correspondence went to his office only they were none the wiser. Until it all blew up and he went to prison. Some of those he'd swindled were raked over the coals by HMRC for the correct money owed since as directors they were responsible for ensuring the correct tax was paid.

YMMV but I like to see a copy of any paperwork regarding MyCo.

*spaffed on house in Bahamas, Bentley, Box at Leeds FC etc.
        Fxxk me. How does one protect against that? Separate the service/correspondence addresses from the account and you (company directory) bridge the documents over to accountant?

Comment

Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post
          Trying to recall what my accountant told me.
          I think HMRC routinely allow something like £18/month for a home office. However, if it is actually your business premises (and recognised as such on your mortgage etc.) then a pro rata apportionment of total costs is allowable. This can be much more than £18/month.
          Imagine the landlord who lives over the pub: the vast majority of heating expenses, for example, will be the pub and not the flat. Maybe 95% of heating expenses will be allowable.

Anyway, the standard advice is: speak to your accountant.
          Yeah £4 a week you can take without having to prove the amount you actually work there. Also, you can do the pro rata of utilities, regardless of where your LTD business address is.

i.e. if your business address is not your home address, and you work from home 3 days a week and in those 3 days a particular room is used as your office 60% of the time, you can proportion out the bills.

If it's actually you business premisis, or for example a shed come office which is only for business use. You may have to pay capital gains tax if/when you sell your home i think?
          Last edited by l35kee; 26 January 2018, 14:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
            SJD accountants offer a service to register your company at their address
            I wonder how long they've still got access to it themselves... :lol:
            ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
              I wonder how long they've still got access to it themselves... :lol:
              What do you mean? I don't understand that comment..

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
                I have it at my accountants 250 miles away.

There's the spam issue but also the fact that your address is in the public domain which I wasn't too happy about.
                I am planning to keep the company open only for 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post
                  Advantages are:
                  1. You can offset a proportion of household costs against business expenses. I have a dedicated office at home purely for business and my accountant does some calculations against tax including mortgage apportionment of some sort (yes, I should know, but I trust him and pay him to do this), broadband, phone, heating and maintenance.
                  2. You get to see all the official correspondence.

The disadvantages are:
                  1. You get to see all the official correspondence! (Instead of registering, say, your accountant's office whereby he gets hassled with it all).
                  2. If you have any angry customers they'll come knocking on your door.
                  3. If you ever sell the house, you need to de-register the business from this address.
                  4. You need to inform your mortgage company that you're running a business from the property.
                  5. You need to review your household insurance.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. STYA.

flat is rented for 6 months only. So I can claim tax for expenses of my flat ? currently it is registered on my accountants company but I am planning to change it on mine, if I can claim for a expenses like rent, electricty, water...etc
                  Last edited by aeroeng; 28 January 2018, 23:20.

Comment

Originally posted by aeroeng View Post
                    flat is rented for 6 months only. So I can claim tax for expenses of my flat ? currently it is registered on my accountants company but I am planning to change it on mine, if I can claim for a expenses like rent, electricty, water...etc
                    Err, no!

You can claim £4 a week for admin work etc at home.

Comment

Working...
                    X