• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you "Live a little" and step back from work?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hey View Post
    I heard this term recently and it got me thinking.

In the last 4 years I have barely taken a break, any breaks that have come have been from work and travelling to nice locations work wise.

How do you step back and look at the bigger picture of life?

Work seems to be getting ever more competitive with money getting reduced more and more while I am demanded to know and apply more and more. Employers don't seem to be interested in developing talent and want a finished package (full-time). Now doing contracting the concept of taking time off means losing money, and any free time does mean learning new things and doing all the chores that have been put off because of lack of time.

They say you should do something you are passionate about, well I am one of those people who cannot do what their passion is because of responsibilities so I turn what I can do which makes me money into my passion and try to be the best at it.

I was wondering if anyone has or had similar experience and worked out something that works for them.
    All I'll say is you're a long time dead. If you cant set out other goals in your life other than working virtually 4 years solid without a break then you need to stop and re evaluate.

The constant pursuit of more money, more money, more money is a rather fruitless objective.

Comment

Not saying it isn't possible by any stretch of the imagination but for contractors it is increasingly becoming more difficult to have a break as agents are getting so picky about breaks in CVs and some sectors (banking seems to be one) really don't like it.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
        Not saying it isn't possible by any stretch of the imagination but for contractors it is increasingly becoming more difficult to have a break as agents are getting so picky about breaks in CVs and some sectors (banking seems to be one) really don't like it.
        Well when you have that heart attack or break down you will have an enforced break.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Well when you have that heart attack or break down you will have an enforced break.
          Don’t get me wrong, I think you should enjoy life while you can but we are working in an increasingly competitive market that makes it more difficult.

Besides bad diet and/or drink will cause heart failure before over work for me.

Comment

OP I had the same epiphany you did two years ago, which is what eventually lead me into contracting after a failed business attempt. I'm trying to look at the bigger picture and build my contracting business into a boutique consultancy with a handful of techies and customers, over time. So far so good, 6 months in and I have two clients and a prospect. The reason I decided I wanted to be a free man and not tied to "the man" was due to work preventing me from attending a semi-pro Ice Hockey tryout back in 2016. I'd already made it past the first two cuts of players, but it was the last trial and I couldn't make it due to getting stuck at work - I automatically didn't make it.

After that I decided I wanted more control over my work and decisions, and I didn't want it to get in the way of my personal goals, when they really mattered.

Since then I've had a couple of injuries including a pretty bad concussion, which has ruled the whole pro hockey dream out for the rest of my life. So, I've decided the next leisure adventure is in motorsport - a couple of friends and myself are currently planning a season and doing our race licenses. Should be great if it pans out! That should fill the escapism void for at least another couple of years, even if the whole things is an enormous money bonfire. (the only thing that burns money quicker than physically burning it, is to race in motorsport with it, apparently...)

Comment

Originally posted by tiggat View Post
              9 Be nice to people on short-term contracts. They are the only people who do any real work.
              Au contraire!
              ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Working...
              X