• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Suggestions on how to tackle notice period...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you prefer a more permanent position?
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
      I always prefer zero or one days notice, at least on your side, puts you in a much more powerful position, and gives you a way out of any craziness starts (say they hire a new boss who is a nutter), or you need to leave due to family circumstances

etc
      And how often do you get that amendment approved?
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
        And how often do you get that amendment approved?
        If there are family issues, most clients are reasonable enough to understand that contractors are human too. When my father-in-law was dying, they let me work from home 3 days a week for 2 months. Life in general is a negotiation and the minutae of day-to-day life within a contract is no different as long as it's amicable.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          . For exactly this reason, no notice periods are becoming more and more common. Thanks for helping the fight

Forgive us if we aren't very sympathetic to your plan.
          With no notice periods in some instances and very short term contracts you can see quite clearly why I would be hoping to land a more secure and suitable permanent position.

I just don't see why a contractor should worry about handing his notice in any more than a permanent member of staff? At the end of the day a person is free to choose what he does for a living provided it's not illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by indianabones View Post
            With no notice periods in some instances and very short term contracts you can see quite clearly why I would be hoping to land a more secure and suitable permanent position.
            Not in the slightest. You are on a forum full of seasoned contractors. It's exactly what we do. So no, I can't see why you would.
            I just don't see why a contractor should worry about handing his notice in any more than a permanent member of staff? At the end of the day a person is free to choose what he does for a living provided it's not illegal.
            Because it's business for us. We sell our services to our clients. Act like a mercenary and it's going to kill off any future business and ruin any relationships we rely of for getting future work.

Stay permie. Contracting is not for you.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

As a perm you are bought on to tackle a role within an organisation. Sometimes that role will involve project work, other times business as usual management. More often than not as a contractor, you are bought in to tackle a requirement. That requirement may be a project, covering someone during sickness, etc. I'll use long term sick leave as an example; Your clientco knows how long the person will be off for recovering from an operation and knows what skills they need during that time. They bring a contractor / small business in to cover those skills for that time period. You don't then expect that resource to reneg the agreement and back out halfway through. You also wouldn't take a permanent member of staff on to fill that gap, because that'd be unfair when you had to let them go.

When you accept a contract, generally, you should see it through.

Furthermore - if you have a client who doesn't often use contractors and you give them a negative experience by marching off site leaving a project / engagement half finished, there's less likelihood of that client ever using a contractor again. This has a negative effect on the whole market.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Stay permie. Contracting is not for you.
                What he said.

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
                  there's less likelihood of that client ever using a contractor again. This has a negative effect on the whole market.
                  I think your post is balanced and I understand what you are saying. But one thing I will say is, I'm don't make decisions based on what it'll be doing to the market. I am going to make decisions, as we probably all do, based on how it affects me.

I do plan on working in permanent roles for most of my life, but here and there we sometimes have to find other means to pay the bills. That is a stage I am at. I wish I have a stash load of money to keep me going for a a long time, but I don't and so I will settle for just about anything, perm or contract right now.

Comment

I think your post is balanced and I understand what you are saying. But one thing I will say is, I'm don't make decisions based on what it'll be doing to the market. I am going to make decisions, as we probably all do, based on how it affects me.

I do plan on working in permanent roles for most of my life, but here and there we sometimes have to find other means to pay the bills. That is a stage I am at. I wish I have a stash load of money to keep me going for a a long time, but I don't and so I will settle for just about anything, perm or contract right now.
                    But you have to think about the contracting market and professional reputation as a whole; given you are already contracting I am assuming you are a skilled worker in your field. The more skilled you get the smaller the talent pool. People's names get around, and peeing clients off (permie or otherwise) by ducking out of gigs early is not going to do you (or anyone else) any favors in the long term.

Sorry to hear of your financial situation, but from what you've said my best advice to you is to go back to the permie market. Or just extend your current contract; you're in a very weak negotiating position. As others have said if you kick up a fuss about your notice you have to walk or risk looking a bit silly. Keep calm and carry on invoicing, wait until the market picks up in the New Year.
                    Last edited by mattfx; 6 December 2017, 16:56.

Comment

Fortunately I have some very friends who have been contracting for over 10 years and in one case over 20 years. I've told them my situation and they're answer was just end your contract if you want, who gives a **** if it affects the market. You think about yourself, it's selfish, but who else is going to think about you?

Just to add, I'm not in a contract but I am contemplating one and this is one of the questions I had. Possibly handing in notice soon after starting.

About 6 weeks ago I start applying, at least 80 applications and about half and half in split. This is the week that I'm getting responses, even from the contract positions.
                      Last edited by indianabones; 6 December 2017, 19:32.

Comment

Working...
                      X