• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Renewal Time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing is often the easiest way to get a rate increase. However there are risks to changing (grass not always greener, client could be an arsehole, new gig could fall through any time up until the first day, or get canned after the first week). Know your market (and have other gigs lined up ready to go).

Comment

God .....good job you're not at my place, renewals can come through a day or so (or even on the day of) contract expiry. You might want to cut out a bit of stress and not worry so much .....they've said they're sorting it, depends if you trust them or not.

By all means look at what else is available but, you say this is your first contract, might be best to have something more substantial on your CV instead of looking to leap.

Only on my first contract myself but have employed many - would always have a preference for those who demonstrated some longevity. (Before everyone shoots me down - I was looking for 6-12M tech and PM folks).

Comment

Originally posted by fatJock View Post
        Only on my first contract myself but have employed many - would always have a preference for those who demonstrated some longevity. (Before everyone shoots me down - I was looking for 6-12M tech and PM folks).
        Ditto, it's the cv full of continual 3 month contracts that I absolutely stayed away from. Yeah the occasional 3 monther is fine, but over and over...?

Either they were crap or jumped at first chance. Neither of which I wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
          I'm the only contractor here in an office that frankly, isn't all that busy - the IT manager here has no other hiring requirements at the moment either.

If something comes along (actually had a call just now to book a telephone interview early next week) before the contract is landed and its a better opportunity - go for that!? Or is it better to have that first gig extended on my CV?
          Part and parcel much? Sounds like an IR35 nightmare that.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by l35kee View Post
            Ditto, it's the cv full of continual 3 month contracts that I absolutely stayed away from. Yeah the occasional 3 monther is fine, but over and over...?

Either they were crap or jumped at first chance. Neither of which I wanted.
            <cough>

But I'm only in my first contract too, so what do I know!!
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              <cough>
              Haha, like I said.. I'm still new ;D

The people that I did interview who had 3 monthers then switching constantly showed the same traits. Textbook CV and response to questions, but absolutely no substance.

Role type probably makes a difference too, developers/testers I can see may have more shorter term contracts, my role less so..

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I've elected to calm the F down - submit my CV if I get a phone call for something interesting, but not actively look. My main focus is to renew and get the 6 months done and under my belt, then look around for a different gig in the New Year.

NLUK I don't see why this is an IR35 nightmare; all of my work is project based and the engagement is of a consultative nature. I took your advice when I very first posted months ago and have done my best to ensure the working practices are correct. I.E. I find an issue or consult with management on what the business wants IT to achieve next, plan on how to make it happen and then implement it. Currently working on a project to split one arm of the business off into a new AD forest - all good fun.

Comment

Working...
                X