• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it quiet or is it me?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by super
    Not sure I follow what you suggest. Sign on to what?
    The dole!

Comment

Yep!

As unemployed.

Watched a very interesting documentary recently by Ray Gosling on his situation which might have been improved if he signed on at the jobcentre between contracts.

Not sure if this is for everybody (Ltd Company) but could be useful in some circumstances according to the program. Worth exploring Im sure.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/documen...bankrupt.shtml

jobjock www.dreamturbine.com

Comment

Originally posted by errorista
        Im thinking that you should sign on between contracts. What if you dont get any more work? You will be liable for NI etc etc.

Anybody agree?

2c
        You can't sign on between contracts because you are still employed - by your limited company. You can only sign on if your company has been dormant for 6 months or more with no fees coming in (I think!) because your employer (your limited company) can't pay you the employee Director, for which NI and tax can be deducted, hence making you officially unemployed. Not sure if you need to wind the company up first though.

Comment

Anybody done this?

Might be worth checking out.

I have a feeling that you dont need to terminate the company just the employees wages. e.g your own wages. When the wages stop you can register as unemployed. The company is another matter and you may need to suspend it for the period concerned. This may be a simple matter that your accountants have allowed for with a set fee.

I suspect this is actually possible but most people do not think of it till its too late.

jobjock www.dreamturbine.com

Comment

Working...
          X