• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is it quiet or is it me?"

Collapse

• errorista
    replied
    Anybody done this?

Might be worth checking out.

I have a feeling that you dont need to terminate the company just the employees wages. e.g your own wages. When the wages stop you can register as unemployed. The company is another matter and you may need to suspend it for the period concerned. This may be a simple matter that your accountants have allowed for with a set fee.

I suspect this is actually possible but most people do not think of it till its too late.

Leave a comment:

• Denny
    replied
    Originally posted by errorista
    Im thinking that you should sign on between contracts. What if you dont get any more work? You will be liable for NI etc etc.

Anybody agree?

2c
    You can't sign on between contracts because you are still employed - by your limited company. You can only sign on if your company has been dormant for 6 months or more with no fees coming in (I think!) because your employer (your limited company) can't pay you the employee Director, for which NI and tax can be deducted, hence making you officially unemployed. Not sure if you need to wind the company up first though.

Leave a comment:

• errorista
    replied
    Yep!

As unemployed.

Watched a very interesting documentary recently by Ray Gosling on his situation which might have been improved if he signed on at the jobcentre between contracts.

Not sure if this is for everybody (Ltd Company) but could be useful in some circumstances according to the program. Worth exploring Im sure.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/documen...bankrupt.shtml

Leave a comment:

• Hart-floot
    replied
    Originally posted by super
    Not sure I follow what you suggest. Sign on to what?
    The dole!

Leave a comment:

• super
    replied
    Originally posted by errorista
    Im thinking that you should sign on between contracts. What if you dont get any more work? You will be liable for NI etc etc.

Anybody agree?

2c
    Not sure I follow what you suggest. Sign on to what?

Leave a comment:

• errorista
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco
    Are you saying that your LTD Co sacks you every time a contract ends, and then rehires you when a contract starts up again? I'd take your LTD Co to court for unfair dismissal!!!

Anybody agree?

2c

Leave a comment:

• super
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco
    Are you saying that your LTD Co sacks you every time a contract ends, and then rehires you when a contract starts up again? I'd take your LTD Co to court for unfair dismissal!!!

No, he's saying that I am employed by Your Co Ltd throughout whether Your Co Ltd is currently under contract with Big Client Ltd or not.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by super
    When I set up my Ltd Co I asked my accountant "does this mean I am self-employed?" and he said "no, sole traders are self-employed, but you are simply employed by Your Co Ltd."

Leave a comment:

• super
    replied
    Originally posted by pickle
    You cant be unemployed when you are self employed, unless you decide to sack yourself. Jeezuz, Hector might be listening...
    When I set up my Ltd Co I asked my accountant "does this mean I am self-employed?" and he said "no, sole traders are self-employed, but you are simply employed by Your Co Ltd."

Leave a comment:

• Torran
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65
    My current contract is ending at the beginning of January so I've started looking for a new one. Been putting my CV around for about 2 weeks now, but only had a handful of calls and none of those seem to relate to genuine positions.

I realise it's a bad time of year to be looking, but I've never had such a poor response in 6 years of contracting. I've got a fairly concise collection of web developer skills - not superman or anything, but usually plenty sufficient to get me work.

Should I be worrying, or is it just a bit slow at the moment and something will come along?

its late November. Same every year.

Leave a comment:

• pickle
    replied
    So, I guess there may be an advantage in actually being unemployed when it comes to it.
    You cant be unemployed when you are self employed, unless you decide to sack yourself. Jeezuz, Hector might be listening...

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by Flubster
    Just this time of year mate. Chill out. Enjoy Xmas and panic about it during the New Year at the same time you're trying to lose weight, quit smoking and take up a new hobby.
    That's reassuring (sort of).

One call I had they seemed interested in me till I said I'd have to give a couple of weeks notice and then they said they needed someone for an immediate start and practically hung up on me. So, I guess there may be an advantage in actually being unemployed when it comes to it.

I'd like to know how many people are applying to each advert these days though. I get the impression I'm in amongst a big crowd at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• Flubster
    replied
    My current contract is ending at the beginning of January so I've started looking for a new one. Been putting my CV around for about 2 weeks now, but only had a handful of calls and none of those seem to relate to genuine positions.

I realise it's a bad time of year to be looking, but I've never had such a poor response in 6 years of contracting. I've got a fairly concise collection of web developer skills - not superman or anything, but usually plenty sufficient to get me work.

Should I be worrying, or is it just a bit slow at the moment and something will come along?
    [Atw mode on]
    It's you. X-train to something more marketable.
    [/Atw mode off]

Just this time of year mate. Chill out. Enjoy Xmas and panic about it during the New Year at the same time you're trying to lose weight, quit smoking and take up a new hobby.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    started a topic Is it quiet or is it me?

Is it quiet or is it me?

Working...
X