• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Completely green please help

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Completely green please help

Hi everyone,

I know that this subject has been touched many times before, but being a contractor its a totally new path in my last 4 years IT security career.
    My employment was terminated and will ends on middle of September.
    I got an offer for 370 per day in Edinburgh and passed successfully interview, however this contract will start on end of September.
    Is it worth to register in Umbrella (not Ltd.) right now just weeks before the contract starts or wait until last day before, is there are any charges to pay if (just hypothetically) I will get better offer for perm job just before my contract starts, and will refuse the contract ? .

How approx. I will take home if above rate goes via Umbrella, is it worth it ?
    I my last perm job I had 2300 per month net pay.

thanks for any tips and advice in this matter.

Are you asking about umbrellas or whether you should be a contractor?

For the former go to the website of Contractor Umbrella and put in your daily rate to see what you will take home.

For the latter read the stuff under CUK navigation to the right over there ---->

As a contractor you need to do your own research. You can ask us questions but the advice is worth as much as you pay for it.

And yes you can turn down contracts after you have signed it but be prepared to have agents shout and scream at you plus threaten you with legal action.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Kerbi View Post
      Hi everyone,

I know that this subject has been touched many times before, but being a contractor its a totally new path in my last 4 years IT security career.
      My employment was terminated and will ends on middle of September.
      I got an offer for 370 per day in Edinburgh and passed successfully interview, however this contract will start on end of September.
      Is it worth to register in Umbrella (not Ltd.) right now just weeks before the contract starts or wait until last day before, is there are any charges to pay if (just hypothetically) I will get better offer for perm job just before my contract starts, and will refuse the contract ? .

How approx. I will take home if above rate goes via Umbrella, is it worth it ?
      I my last perm job I had 2300 per month net pay.

thanks for any tips and advice in this matter.
      Take home is approx £4400 pm after taxes and fees from an umbrella, but keep in mind that's only for as long as you're working (£0 income for sick / holidays / having contract cut short)

Comment

Most brollies will only charge you while you're putting money through them. So you can sign up now and just leave it dormant until you need it.

Comment

OP are you going to stay in contracting? Or is this a stop gap until you find another permanent gig? If you are sure you're going to stay in contracting, setup a limited company via an accountant such as SJD - the whole process takes a couple of weeks and you're ready to go.

However, if you're unsure as to whether it's for you or not, i'd go umbrella first.

Comment

Thanks guys for such quick response.

I am aware that contract can be terminated any time: As they said "life is brutal...so try to live like barbarian"...or something like that.

However, not sure if I am not under valuated myself, I have looked on IT job site to check average rates for IT Security folks in Edinburgh and most of them if not all are quite above it, but this is just a survey and in a real scenario my rate can be appropriate compares to my short experience (Analyst, technician) and lack of heavy programming skills.

Comment

Also, the agent will have sniffed that you're a newbie contractor and will try and cut your rate because they think they can. There is also the aspect that not all first time contractors stick with it and some will ditch a gig as soon as a permie role comes up, so it's difficult to sometimes convince an agent/client that you're not going to do that.

Comment

I am aware that contract can be terminated any time: As they said "life is brutal...so try to live like barbarian"...or something like that.
                Nope. Never heard that or anything similar.
                However, not sure if I am not under valuated myself, I have looked on IT job site to check average rates for IT Security folks in Edinburgh .
                Undervalued? You are asking the basics of starting a contract and are probably unaware how different contracting is and will be expecting some nice long induction period etc. More experienced contractors will have everything setup and start delivering the minute they walk through the door. Surely they are naturally worth more?

But it's more likely the agent has your pants pulled down as has already been mentioned.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks guys for such quick response.

However, not sure if I am not under valuated myself, I have looked on IT job site to check average rates for IT Security folks in Edinburgh and most of them if not all are quite above it, but this is just a survey and in a real scenario my rate can be appropriate compares to my short experience (Analyst, technician) and lack of heavy programming skills.
                  Did you provide the rate to them? Or did they advertise or tell you the rate? I took a contract, knowingly slightly below what I actually want for my first. To get my foot in the door before my permie notice period ended. I was happy to because it benefited me more than waiting.

Also, I don't agree with the life is brutal sentiment. Life is beautiful, usually with many challenges that are fantastic learning experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by l35kee View Post
                    Did you provide the rate to them? Or did they advertise or tell you the rate? I took a contract, knowingly slightly below what I actually want for my first. To get my foot in the door before my permie notice period ended. I was happy to because it benefited me more than waiting.

Also, I don't agree with the life is brutal sentiment. Life is beautiful, usually with many challenges that are fantastic learning experiences.
                    I have provided the rate to them first, then we have negotiated and have agreed on the final amount. So generally speaking the rate is exactly what I wanted however I just did not make a market research before the negotiation so I wasn't aware current rates. But, as you all saying that as a first contract is not bad so maybe is not bad especially that I don't have any notice period so basically they don't have to wait for me because their project starts on ends of September-beginning of October and I'll free until then.

Comment

Working...
                    X