• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My First Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Listen to your accountant and follow their advice.

Don't treat Company money as your own.

Save as much as possible during your first contract, you will need the warchest while you look for the next one, unless you are very lucky. Pay yourself the equivalent of your last permie salary until you have enough to live on for at least 3 months, preferably 6.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      Listen to your accountant and follow their advice.
      This scuppered me in my first 6 months (blindly trusting my first accountant), I suggest you google / get a second opinion on any advice your accountant gives you, it will help you to understand things yourself much better

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
        This scuppered me in my first 6 months (blindly trusting my first accountant), I suggest you google / get a second opinion on any advice your accountant gives you, it will help you to understand things yourself much better
        Remember you're running your business not your accountant. Listen to them. Always check out what they say. The only advice my accountant gave me was "Don't take the piss" ...

Comment

Working...
        X