• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Warchest Advice with loan?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    So, apart from statutory sick pay, 22 days holidays and a pension, you get no benefits. (Why am I hearing "what did the Romans ever do for us?")
    You don't get proper holidays here so fact you get 22 bit pointless. Never get to take them properly if you still want a job.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      So, apart from statutory sick pay, 22 days holidays and a pension, you get no benefits. (Why am I hearing "what did the Romans ever do for us?")
      Plus paid bank holidays

(Minus February 29th every four years)
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by codedaddy View Post
        No I want all peoples advice and views on it. Your advice has been just as valuable as the others.

Yes get that pension thing. It's on lowest contribution they could get away with.

Holidays are 22 with public holidays but even then spend most of them working as you end up working at home when they call you up and if you don't answer they don't like that one bit.

Other than this no bens like you would probably get in other modern tech places.

Thanks
        Then get a new permie job.

The decision to go contracting shouldn't be based on two contractors ripping of your current permie employer.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You don't get proper holidays here so fact you get 22 bit pointless. Never get to take them properly if you still want a job.
          Sounds like that's your way to a pay off then. Take your legally entitled holiday, stick to them, stop working for free, and then take the redundancy or unfair dismissal.

You might even be able to quit now and claim constrictive dismissal based on their behaviour.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            Sounds like that's your way to a pay off then. Take your legally entitled holiday, stick to them, stop working for free, and then take the redundancy or unfair dismissal.

You might even be able to quit now and claim constrictive dismissal based on their behaviour.
            Oh and there are the right he had as. A permie. They are benefits we don't have.

He can get caught having a kip in the bog a couple of times before they can sack him. We don't have that. Very risky business kipping in the loo's as a contractor. Takes a lot of skill and gumption.
            Last edited by northernladuk; 3 August 2017, 13:45.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Oh and there are the right he had as. A permie. They are benefits we don't have.
              Ye but you choose to not have those rights anymore by going contract. I'd be fine with loosing those rights.

Comment

Warchest Advice with loan?

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

He can get caught having a kip in the bog a couple of times before they can sack him. We don't have that. Very risky business kipping in the loo's as a contractor. Takes a lot of skill and gumption.
                lol can't say I've ever fell asleep in loos. Did fall asleep in car wash other week though.

Comment

Ye but you choose to not have those rights anymore by going contract. I'd be fine with loosing those rights.
                  Just a thought - and it does happen especially in this political climate - what happens if you get a contract then get canned three weeks later due to the project being pulled?

How are you going to survive without savings and loads of debt?
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Just a thought - and it does happen especially in this political climate - what happens if you get a contract then get canned three weeks later due to the project being pulled?

How are you going to survive without savings and loads of debt?
                    I know. It's already been said before. I need to have a good hard think and re-access things. Best ideas probably save up. Loose the debt. Be free to contract.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies people. Liked them just to show I have read each one.

So I do have a mortgage, wife and 2 kids. I do get a pretty decent wage permie at 45k but I have that much going out paying off debt which added over the years after looking after my family and never getting my original pay rise constantly until recently.
                      Similar to my situation. 2 very young kids, wife doesn't work. Had a decent permie wage (slightly higher than yours) and a bit of manageable debt.

I was hiring a lot of contractors in my permie role, who were to say the least junk. So I thought why the hell can't I do this? Reasons for contracting? Making more money, paying off my debts, living a comfortable life (not just "getting by", but not being "rich" either).

Let me give you another perspective to many in this thread.

I have been in my current contract for just over 4 months, and in total I've taken home what amounts to a few grand less than my permie salary take home for a full year (50% wife shareholding helps a lot).

Obviously I have had to pay accountant fees, but not much else on top of that (my accountant includes my business insurance). Contract is very likely to last the whole 12 months at least. So if I wanted to live as I used to on my permie salary, I could take the whole of 2018 off.
                      Last edited by l35kee; 3 August 2017, 14:07.

Comment

Working...
                      X