• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract worries! - help /advice appreciated

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract worries! - help /advice appreciated

Hi All

A relative newbie to the contracting game – I landed a role in the UK for 6 months this summer which was due to finish soon at the beginning of December. All was well up until a few weeks ago I Had a phonecall from one of the UKs bigger agencies – about 3 weeks – where they approaching me about a role in Helsinki finland very very vague on job details – and I assumed after reading these boards that it was just a cv / or reference fishing exercise – so just played along and said yes I would be interested dependant on start date and further job details – and just forgot about it not expecting a return call.

However about 3 weeks ago the agency called to say the company was interested and would like to do a telephone interview at about 1 days notice – although he was still very woolly on job detail (1 line description!) - the rate was relatively good and although he said he shouldn’t be telling me it was for a big bluechip (mobile phone company) which got me hooked and so I played along - got a call the following day = from A UK based generic IT outsourcing company who told me they outsource resources for some big names etc – and this would be the first interview and if successful there would be a further interview with the company itself. The informal chat went well enough even though this person couldn’t give any further info about job etc – he mentioned the terms would be 3month initial contract with the probable opportunity to extend and some expenses etc.

The fact that he couldn’t give any further detail started some alarm bells ringing in my head – about a week later the agency rang me to tell me the good news that they wanted to offer me the job – without a further interview –which was fine but they wanted me start on about 3 days notice the following Monday – which I point blank refused I asked for 1 weeks notice to give to my existing client (the project was wrapped up so there was no problem there) and to sort thing out for the big trip etc – the agent agreed but then basically cajoled me into signing the contract which he had emailed through which stated the correct rate but no mention of expenses by the outsourcer– I stupidly agreed to do this – and then asked for further job details such as site of work and site contact details etc - so I could make accommodation arrangements and book my flight etc

To cut a long story short since then they have come back with nothing in terms of work locations or contacts on the site if it exists!– I had given my notice in at my existing client even though I had 2 weeks left on it and was written in the contract to start this Monday – without this info I refused to book my flight which a put in an email to them stating if they expected me to just get on a flight out there @ 1 days notice it wasn’t going to happen as the prices of flights triple in these circumstances – they agreed and put this to the client who said they would pay for the flight out there – however after various emails to the agency last week – where they promised they would get the information the at the end of play today etc I still have nothing ! – culminating in an email on Friday from the agency stating I will not be starting on Monday the 20th ! but they will supply the info and the flight details on Monday (got a feeling of déjà vu!) – just feels like they are stringing me along for whatever purposes - and its been a bad situation from the start and am dreading what the position will be if it exists if and when I actually get out there.

My questions are Have the agency / clients breached there end of the contract by not getting this information to me before hand ? as I am obviously going to miss 1 or more day/s pay by not being on site for the start of the job next week – and had given notice at my existing client where I could have continued for 2 weeks.

At the moment My gut feeling is to get out of a bad situation as with the really woolly job description and 8 month term it is likely the job is going to be a bag of tulipe when I get there. My contract states no notice period. The agency blatantly told me there was 4 weeks so at this moment in time I would appreciate any constructive advice / thoughts from more seasoned contractors

Given the circumstances and lack of assurance - Would asking them to change the notice period or perhaps having shorter initial term contract with the possibility of extension be a realistic possibility?

Any advice or info appreciated………..

Feck... is this the most boring thread ever?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

thanks for that c0ck end apt name - any more ?

Comment

Still boring - is it a family trait?
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

it is fairly common for outsourced companies to try to pull people to gether for a contract or project which they *expect* to start in the imminent future.

As to if and when it starts ? Who knows.

On the plus side Helsinki is nice - pack some warm clothes though.

Have you got a contact at the outsourcer or just at the agency ?

Have they signed the contract (agency) ? If so you could be quids in - If you have a start date.

I would have a good read of the contract and a think but it isnt necc. as bad as you think.

Comment

Chillie Hippo? Like, I mean, I eat most things, but a chilly hippo?

Comment

Have the movie rights been sold yet?

Shouldn't have signed if you weren't clear on the details.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

next!

Comment

You are being pushed around and letting it happen. Give them a list of things you expect to happen before you even consider making any arrangements.
                  1. Full details of the location.
                  2. Full details of the job.
                  3. Agreement in writing that they will pay initial expenses - flight + 1 weeks accom.
                  4. Demand you get paid from day one regardless of whether they have arranged your location by then.
                  5. Demand weekly pay so you can get some coming in soon as.

They are laughing at the moment - you are paying everything and they can erase you with no notice if it doesn't work out/client takes different choice.
                  They have been asked to assemble a group of people with certain skills. This may be to cover a possible exodus of staff after an outsourcing deal is announced.
                  This looks very shaky and I would not be surprised if it goes up in smoke, best you can hope for is that you don't end up out of pocket. It's a big agency which is good for getting paid etc.
                  Find something else and walk, agency will whinge but get over it.

Comment

Originally posted by chillyhippo

. . . but then basically cajoled me into signing the contract which he had emailed through which stated the correct rate but no mention of expenses by the outsourcer– I stupidly agreed to do this

Any advice or info appreciated………..
                    Give up contracting?
                    jobjock www.dreamturbine.com

Comment

Working...
                    X