• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Really? shifting contract dates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really? shifting contract dates

On my current gig, I have a signed contract. As you would expect.

I won't go into too much detail about my circumstances, only to say we work to milestone deliveries. I started after the rest of the team. The contract I've signed finishes the third week in July. It seems the client wanted some alignment and I've been presented with a new contract which finishes the beginning of July.

Now I sometimes think that contracts are not worth the paper they are written on, as the client can blow the whistle tomorrow if they choose to. But my question is; should I even sign this new contract? nothing else has changed, only the finish date.

Hope this makes sense. Its been a long day.

So you've received and signed the first one that has a longer term, and they've since given you a new in-flight contract with a shorter term on it?
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
      So you've received and signed the first one that has a longer term, and they've since given you a new in-flight contract with a shorter term on it?
      That is quite literally the long and the short of it.

Comment

Rock the boat and get the boot. Sign it and carry on invoicing?

Am sure someone will come along saying never roll.over for them, you've got a contract etc but to what end? Find out the next correspondence from them is your notice?

How do you feel about it? Does it seem kosher? Is there plenty of work still to be had etc? What is your current notice period?

From here it doesn't sound too unreasonable and I'm not sure the benefit making a fuss but you'll know better. Do you think they are lining up to bin you early?
        Last edited by northernladuk; 9 May 2017, 21:56.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
          On my current gig, I have a signed contract. As you would expect.

I won't go into too much detail about my circumstances, only to say we work to milestone deliveries. I started after the rest of the team. The contract I've signed finishes the third week in July. It seems the client wanted some alignment and I've been presented with a new contract which finishes the beginning of July.

Now I sometimes think that contracts are not worth the paper they are written on, as the client can blow the whistle tomorrow if they choose to. But my question is; should I even sign this new contract? nothing else has changed, only the finish date.

Hope this makes sense. Its been a long day.
          In my point of view, it's not correct but It's only about 2 weeks earlier. I wouldn't bother.

Comment

If it's aligned to a delivery milestone, has the milestone moved forward 2 weeks? What was the change control around moving the milestone? Did you have any input to that? If not, it's a bit much to ask you to deliver in a shorter timescale with no input to the change.

However, if it's simply aligning your contract with an existing, unmoved milestone, then it's probably not worth arguing. As mentioned, they could keep the existing contract in pace and simply bin you early. Sounds like they may be getting things in order to agree delivery of milestone 2, in which case you may find an extension on the way aligned to that second milestone.

TL;DR - not worth fighting about.
            World's Best Martini

Comment

Keep them sweet, you've now got more accurate notice of your possible end date to find a plan B
              ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Happened to me once with a client who were very penny pinching with how many days they wanted off you. At one stage they gave me an extension for four days!

Ended up getting a renewal that took my past the original end date so all ended up ok.

Comment

For a contract to be binding, there needs to be consideration on both sides. What consideration are they giving you to accept the change?
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Cheers all.
                    I've signed a number of contracts with this company. I had a word with my colleagues and we are of the consensus that they don't really know what they are doing and our best bet may well be to sign and keep invoicing, as ably advised by NLUK and others.

As I mentioned on another thread, I think I want to take the summer off after this gig and just vegetate somewhere, so I shall focus on expanding the warchest for the break. Not all of which will be spent in the UK

Comment

Working...
                    X