• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

27 applications and only one call

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

27 applications and only one call

only one call back!!!

admittedly, about 20 of those...i just sent off without any changes to the CV....

well two called back, the other was CP...contract not IR35 friendly, at least they were honest..

looks like a long holiday coming up....

Oh Dear...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I applied for about 280 contracts, up to 20 a day before I got my new one. Most agencies didnt bother to ring at all. Now, of course I get 3 or 4 calls a day! Most are a waste of space though. The bad news is that I'm having to live away from home during the week, for my next contract
      I got about 5 interviews from all my applications - one contract offered. Oh - I did get offered a very dodgy incredibly non-IR35 one mentioned on another thread - turned it down though. (They would make CP look VERY IR35 friendly).
      Keep going - there are some out there - but I'm not totally convinced how many - certainly in the Windows sysadmin type areas.

Comment

You must be tulip. 10 applications, 3 offers
        I was TheMonkey

Comment

Originally posted by The Clown Beater
          You must be tulip. 10 applications, 3 offers
          You must be too no applications job offers coming out of my ears!

Comment

"You must be tulip. 10 applications, 3 offers"

I think you're all tulip.

One application - one offer.

Who sends out 200/280 CVS. Thats just lazy. Are you trying to tell me that your CV matched these roles!! No of course they didnt.

If I type in Crystal Reports and/or MIS and/or SQL Server I might see 80 adverts, but I may only apply for 1 or 2 of them.

I check the rate, location, skills match, interest level. Then I apply, follow up with a call. I have now done about 30 odd contracts (some very short-term, some long - over 8 years and I have a perfect 100% Interview to Offer Ratio) with an Interview to Application ratio of about 1 in 3 (which includes bogus roles)

Sending your CV out willy nilly is a recipe for disaster IMO.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Mass mailshot

Originally posted by MarillionFan
              Sending your CV out willy nilly is a recipe for disaster IMO.
              Totally agree. Concentrate on the roles you can do or bluff that you actually want, change your CV to match the criteria, ace the technical test, wear a nice suit and speak English. Easy.

If you sent out 200/280 CVs you are mad or desperate. Snap out of it man.

Andy
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Not only that.. It explains why agencies don't care to call us back when we send in a CV on a role we feel we are next to a perfect match for..

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
                  "You must be tulip. 10 applications, 3 offers"

I think you're all tulip.

One application - one offer.
                  MF...you're also in the tulip team. I no longer need to apply for roles. They just give them to me.

threaded
                  Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

looks like a bit more thought required

yeah, better tailor and edit my CV to the roles really....and gonna start following up applications with a call...

thing is, back 4 months ago when I was a permie...i was sending off a weaker CV, and getting called left right and centre??

Comment

Working...
                    X