• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Made a mistake??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wantacontract
    hmmm, when I find out 2 days ago, i wasn't that bothered...but right now...its bothered me....

I feel annoyed....

Its more to do with the feeling of rejection then worrying about money....

Ok, a little bit to do with the money...but I got enough to last me through til Feb/March, depending on how careful I am with XMAS....

so why am I bothered??
    Something to do with rejection ?

Number one rule of contracting: Next (and don't look back)

Comment

ur'right

just that its so close to home - 5 minute drive...

Leave on a professional note...hopefully go back next year if they're busy...

Comment

Don't think prompting made any difference at all. Don't beat yourself up about it (I know it sounds an ideal gig for you) but hey ho. Like you said leave on a high/professional note (with managers contact details) and give them a nod if out of work in the future. Some places manage these things better than others - I sometimes get a little p*ssed at renewal time as some places don't do things in a professional manner at all (forget all that your a contractor b*ll) - Stick a few extra hours on you last invoice. Courtesy costs nothing (well a few hours on your last invoice anyway).
        Last edited by weemster; 18 November 2006, 11:30.

Comment

It's better to ask at least 4 weeks in advance of your contract termination date whether you are going to be renewed. If not, that gives you time to mentally adjust to the prospect of leaving and to start looking around for other gigs. No PM is going to be unaware that your contract date is up even if they don't tell you or talk to you about a renewal and its only if they don't like you they won't bother telling you because they hope that you think you are going to extended. If they do like you they certainly won't extend it just because they haven't thought it through enough at the 11th hour but don't need you anyway. More than likely they will terminate simply because they haven't thought it through. If you tell them well in advance and you know you're doing a good job they might just generate some more reasons for you to stay.

Mind you, there might be something in extending your own contract to a maximum length. During my last renewal my client asked me how long I thought it should be. Very stupidly, in hindsight, I said another 4 months. I've now discovered that its not going to be renewed now due to lack of work. However, if I'd said 6 months instead, he probably would have kept it going into the new year until February - there again he might not. Difficult to tell really.
          Last edited by Denny; 18 November 2006, 12:54.

Comment

Yep, speak up if you want to stay on. I, however don't and therefore will stay quiet until they ask me. If you admit before the last month that you don't intend accepting an extension you may well find the contract ending early.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
            X