• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Luck Run Out?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you fancy gambling with PS gigs there should be plenty about but good luck with that.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      What you see suffering from is a dose of reality. There are many people leaving PS clients at the moment so it's going to be very quiet for a couple of months but even in good times it's not unusual to have a couple of weeks on the bench. It's why we build a warchest up to see us through the lean times. You shouldn't even be blinking at up to a month on the bench between gigs.
      I have to reluctantly agree 'WHS'.

Sounds like you're panicking early. Your 3rd gig, the last two in PS. I would actually think with the cull in PS that you'd be able to get something quite quickly albeit maybe on the Perm side.

A month is nothing, Mordac has spent years between gigs & you should have built some money up in the form of a warchest. I have always gone with one month in, one month saved, so unless you've been acting like one of the Rolling Stones in the 60's you should have some wiggle room.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

As others have said you might be worrying unnecessarily as you have 5 weeks to go. Keep an eye on the job boards and linkedin let's you search "contract project manager" as well so that you can see what roles are coming up. Consider tailoring your CV to each role you apply for. Try to call the agent up and talk to them.

Good luck.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        You shouldn't even be blinking at up to a month on the bench between gigs.
        Well I can blink now my month has passed.
        This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          +1. Missed the 5 weeks time bit. No one is looking for a contractor in a months time they want one NOW...
          Defence has a longer lead in due to clearances.
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
            Defence has a longer lead in due to clearances.
            He works for local authorities.

Five weeks is too early to panic. Once I know there's no extension forthcoming, I'd be updating my LinkedIn status to advise of my availability and a week or two later update my cv and get it on the job boards.

I always budget for a 4 week downtime at the end of a client engagement, partly to de-client and partly to do the stuff that's gone on a back burner while I've been grafting (a short break, for example).
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by ContractBunny View Post
              My two best theories for this is that agents are getting reluctant to place contractors from out of area
              If you are still looking at public sector roles, I'd be wary of looking for one that is out of the area - you won't be able to claim travel and subsistence if you are inside IR35, and the chances of you being inside IR35 (or paid as if you are) are likely to increase in the future.
              First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

I tend to find clients either wouldn't consider anyone who isn't local or are happy to more or less entirely resource projects with people who stay away in the week.

Comment

The only people who are going to be interested in your PS experience is HMRC.

Good luck.

qh
                  He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
                  X