• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Australian wanting to contract in UK/Europe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meridian
    Your wife's grandparents don't necessarily entitle you to a visa/permit. They do get your wife entry, and if she gets residence then you can apply as the spouse of a UK resident. Or you can apply under the higher skills visa. Or you can claim asylum, which will get you a house, car, and benefits as well.

Otherwise, when you're here just act like a local - get a good accountant, set up a limited company, get to know the agencies and job sites to visit. All with the added benefit of being able to skip home in a couple of years with your tax dosh
    This is the reason I asked my question. I have obviously misread the requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by Forumbore
      We dont need you lot anyway, we've got plenty of Romanians arriving in their caravans every day. And we can beat them at rugby and cricket.
      You have beaten our rugby, league and cricket teams recently. Maybe we should be playing the Romanians.

Comment

Originally posted by Forumbore
        ... And we can beat them at rugby and cricket.
        Probably not for long
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Hi Midstein,

Careful with the "visa" and work permits within the EU, if you satisfy the residency requirement for one member state, this does not automatically guarantee you entry to another state immediately unless you have a European passport from a member state that was not one of the recent new joiners (i.e Poland, the baltics etc) then you're probably ok, but that does not automatically give your spouse or partner the right to work, reside yes, work no. The opposite also goes for you if your spouse is the EU-er.

Because of the recent migration of eastern european workers, new restrictions have been introduced which may or may not affect you.

For example, my wife (aussie) could work only in the UK, by excercising the "Treaty of Rome" , but needed a visa to go to France, now granted this was 6 years ago, but a very close collegue a EU member state Foreign Office, tells me that if anything, the restrictions are going to get worse.

She's just got EU residency (applying here in OZ) and that's taken go to woe 18 months or so ?

Comment

Working...
          X